JBR LIFE Photography

Kahului Airport - LAANC Authorized

Aloha gang!

I'm proud to present a few images from yesterday morning's drone flight.  Through LAANC, I was able to get a special authorization from FAA & the control tower manager to fly this location for a beachfront home (not pictured).  While the mission was a beach home, I couldn't resist grabbing a couple shots of the airport itself.  What I was most impressed with was how smoothly the approval process went.  

From request filed through LAANC (AirMap) to authorization was less than 2 weeks.  I had to submit a custom unlock request to DJI, which was approved within hours, and loaded to the aircraft days before the mission.  A quick call to the tower the morning of the flight, and the manager was already prepared, as he authorized the mission.  We recapped the mission details (altitude, duration, radius of operation), and ended with 'Call me when you're done so I'll know, until then I'll keep the traffic off your spot as best I can.'

This is the second '0 zone' I've been able to get approved for flight.  The first was further away from the airport, but not by much.  Seems like if you have a solid plan and a reasonable tower manager, there's a good chance you'll be approved.

Details about the flight itself:

Mavic 2 Zoom equipped with 3mi vis anti-collision lighting (top white, port, starboard), 300ft operating radius, 75ft AGL max altitude.  Operation time was 8am-9am.

Enjoy & Mahalo for viewing!

DJI_0832-600x400.jpg

DJI_0833-Pano-Edit-600x277.jpg

Edited by JBR LIFE Photography
  • Like 1