Alan Perlman

Miami Beach // South Pointe Park at Sunrise

Recently got back from a short trip to Miami Beach with my family. 

Woke up at sunrise on our last morning there to sneak in some drone flying at South Pointe Park.

Feedback, particularly when it comes to the color grading, is welcome!

DJI_0074.thumb.jpg.eb36ee6787f9acec72345458cbf174c4.jpg

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Alan Perlman said:

Recently got back from a short trip to Miami Beach with my family. 

Woke up at sunrise on our last morning there to sneak in some drone flying at South Pointe Park.

Feedback, particularly when it comes to the color grading, is welcome!

DJI_0074.thumb.jpg.eb36ee6787f9acec72345458cbf174c4.jpg

Looks good to me man. 

• Like 1

Aloha Alan,

This is a beautiful image, for sure!  I have a few feedback notes, regarding a bit of color work.  I could type them up here, or if you'll send me the RAW file, I'll make the adjustment in LR and send you the catalog, so you can see exactly what I did?  

Great shot, regardless, thanks for sharing!

Warmest Mahalo,

Jonathon

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alan Perlman said:

Appreciate the feedback, all!

@JBR LIFE Photography, here's the original file — https://www.dropbox.com/s/dk5jo1jbfw3km3a/DJI_0074_original.DNG?dl=0

Would love you to work your magic.

Alan

Mahalo, Alan!  I had a run through the image, and here are a few notes:

In the future, if you'll pull the drone back another 300ft or so, there will be room to straighten the lines of the buildings, without losing the desired scene.  I tried straightening this image, but it suffered a loss of sky or the pier, have to choose.  Instead of sacrificing the scene, I omitted the process altogether.

Found some critical data loss in the sky highlights, toward the center of the frame.  I recommend shooting at least -1/3 EV, sometimes even -2/3, and on rare occasions, a full stop below.  The Hasselblad seemed to do well recovering shadow tones, so I wouldn't fear exposing for the highlights a little more conservatively.

The key to an image like this, as you'll find in the catalog, is brush tool, brush tool, brush tool. 

Over the years, I've created a few import presets that really help me get close.  It reduces the editing time a LOT, because they're custom built to fit the settings I use.  It makes shooting for your edit process a ton easier.

Enjoy!

Lightroom Catalog --------> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a7iwnifhjsochj7/AABK8dUSp3Wy1Iflc5FZL7MBa?dl=0

Edited image:   https://www.dropbox.com/s/66osevynonhns92/DJI_0074_original.jpg?dl=0

DJI_0074_original.thumb.jpg.59efae4f952fe15d56d40660dd1789d9.jpg

Edited by JBR LIFE Photography
  • Like 1

Sorry, I realized I had the exposure too high on this, re-worked it.  Here's the correct version I meant to send you.  Catalog should match this one now.

This also means there wasn't as much data loss in the highlights as I had thought initially.  

DJI_0074_original.jpg

Edited by JBR LIFE Photography
Fixing my thoughts
  • Like 2

Wow, thanks so much @JBR LIFE Photography ‚ I love how you were able to lighten everything up to make it feel more like sunrise. Yes, I played with the brush tool a bit but need a lot more practice to be able to properly isolate areas. This is really great feedback and appreciate you taking the time to teach me / share your settings so I can take a closer look at how you use Lightroom.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alan Perlman said:

Wow, thanks so much @JBR LIFE Photography ‚ I love how you were able to lighten everything up to make it feel more like sunrise. Yes, I played with the brush tool a bit but need a lot more practice to be able to properly isolate areas. This is really great feedback and appreciate you taking the time to teach me / share your settings so I can take a closer look at how you use Lightroom.

Np, glad you like the edit!  If you have any questions, hit me up and I'll gladly assist.  Enjoy delving into the catalog!

• Thanks 1

awesome!!!  love it, email me, and anyone that wants to perhaps fly together somewhere in DADE County, i am in the kendale lakes area, 33183.

AM USING right now a , SG700-D, it has awesome video quality, well for $55 it does, better then I figured it was going to be, haven't checked the image quality as of yet.

AND, which software do you use for the connection to your cell?

{{  habeas7@gmail.com ]]

Edited by SHARKY1