Sign in to follow this  
bowse1

3D Modeling Platform For LiDAR

Hello!

My work is looking for a very reliable 3D modeling platform/program that can map out a 3D model of my university from our LiDAR topographic maps. The previous platforms we have used couldn't seem to handle the massive amounts of data computing to form the complete map, so a beefy software would be ideal. Does anyone know of any platforms that could be up to the task? 

Thanks! 

What Do you mean by "Map Out"? 

Most generic cad programs have issues with large point clouds and so you need to find a program that is particularly designed to handle them. There are many of these and they each have differing capabilities. So part of the answer will depend on what you want to do with the point cloud.

If you are modeling pipes and small detailed infrastructure, you want one that specializes in that. If what you want is to be able to run contours and do some simple structure outlines, then there are many that can handle this. What kinds of features are you trying to extract? Also important is what kind of underlying cad programs are you using as many of these are tied to one or the other. 

ACAD has a couple of different programs from simple to very complex. So does Bently. But there are many smaller stand alone programs that will do well and export to many file types like dwg or dxf. Things like PointCab or Pointfuse may suite your needs. Again, it depends a lot on what you are trying to accomplish, what kind of learning curve you are willing to take on, and what your budget is.

Gary

• Like 1

Gary,

We use AutoCAD to draw topographic contours that we have taken from surveying equipment. The drawing also has all of the campus' buildings, and features, like parking lots and outside stairways that were accurately measured. We are using Sketchup right now to create a 3D model but are running into issues so we would like to try our hand at a few different programs, including some open source software. One thing my supervisor is pushing for is accuracy, so say when you zoom into the model, he would like it to not become pixelated like photogrammetry tends to do.

Please let me know if this clears anything up for you!

16 hours ago, GAProctor said:

What Do you mean by "Map Out"? 

Most generic cad programs have issues with large point clouds and so you need to find a program that is particularly designed to handle them. There are many of these and they each have differing capabilities. So part of the answer will depend on what you want to do with the point cloud.

If you are modeling pipes and small detailed infrastructure, you want one that specializes in that. If what you want is to be able to run contours and do some simple structure outlines, then there are many that can handle this. What kinds of features are you trying to extract? Also important is what kind of underlying cad programs are you using as many of these are tied to one or the other. 

ACAD has a couple of different programs from simple to very complex. So does Bently. But there are many smaller stand alone programs that will do well and export to many file types like dwg or dxf. Things like PointCab or Pointfuse may suite your needs. Again, it depends a lot on what you are trying to accomplish, what kind of learning curve you are willing to take on, and what your budget is.

Gary

Gary,

We use AutoCAD to draw topographic contours that we have taken from surveying equipment. The drawing also has all of the campus' buildings, and features, like parking lots and outside stairways that were accurately measured. We are using Sketchup right now to create a 3D model but are running into issues so we would like to try our hand at a few different programs, including some open source software. One thing my supervisor is pushing for is accuracy, so say when you zoom into the model, he would like it to not become pixelated like photogrammetry tends to do.

Please let me know if this clears anything up for you!