Mike Nunez

Drone Pictures in Construction - Training

I have got my RPC now and am flying for a commercial construction company. Can anyone point me in the right direction for maybe some training course online for doing commercial construction pictures? Our budget is limited and I would like to see if there are any for free. The company has a DJI Phantom 4 as their drone. 

Would also like to get trained in Search and Rescue if possible. But not sure where to get this training. I am located in SW Florida.

Have you flown the Phantom 4?  I think you may be over thinking the “training” aspect.  The keys to starting a successful career in commercial operations are: 

1. know how to fly the drone in any orientation 
  2. must be a knowledgeable photographer
  3. be a subject matter expert in the field you want to support

Number one just takes practice.  If you fly a couple of batteries a day in progressively more complicated scenarios for two weeks you should be good enough to fly where others would like you too.  

There are lots of online Photography coarses that can help with number two.  You don’t have to be a creative photography expert but you do have to know what it takes to get a well focused and exposed image that can serve the needs of your customer.  The commercial part of the job has way more to do with the camera than the drone. 

The third point is the most important, you need to know what constitutes actionable data for the customer and to accomplish that you must be an expert in the market your trying to do business in.  Again this has little to nothing to do with the drone.  

If your already taking pictures, doing photogrammetry or using LiDAR on a construction site then your already an expert, the drone simply extends your reach.  

Theres no “easy” button to push that will pull all of this together for you, but it really isn’t that difficult to accomplish either.  Where most people who are aspiring to be a commercial operator fail is in their belief that if your a good drone operator then you’ll be successful.  Although the drone is the enabler, it is the least important element to success.  You can’t be a great carpenter without a hammer, but your success as a carpenter isn’t defined by the hammer.  (Something like that).  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

Although the drone is the enabler, it is the least important element to success.  You can’t be a great carpenter without a hammer, but your success as a carpenter isn’t defined by the hammer.

Amen. Came here to write the same thing :)

• Thanks 1

For construction, you are going to want to learn and be comfortable with autonomous functions. Of course, learning how to fly manually is an obvious must. Flying autonomous missions will get you actionable data, and with a drone you can take the same picture and video, over and over again.

A good application is Litchi. 

On 1/11/2019 at 3:56 PM, Av8Chuck said:

Have you flown the Phantom 4?  I think you may be over thinking the “training” aspect.  The keys to starting a successful career in commercial operations are: 

1. know how to fly the drone in any orientation 
  2. must be a knowledgeable photographer
  3. be a subject matter expert in the field you want to support

Number one just takes practice.  If you fly a couple of batteries a day in progressively more complicated scenarios for two weeks you should be good enough to fly where others would like you too.  

There are lots of online Photography coarses that can help with number two.  You don’t have to be a creative photography expert but you do have to know what it takes to get a well focused and exposed image that can serve the needs of your customer.  The commercial part of the job has way more to do with the camera than the drone. 

The third point is the most important, you need to know what constitutes actionable data for the customer and to accomplish that you must be an expert in the market your trying to do business in.  Again this has little to nothing to do with the drone.  

If your already taking pictures, doing photogrammetry or using LiDAR on a construction site then your already an expert, the drone simply extends your reach.  

Theres no “easy” button to push that will pull all of this together for you, but it really isn’t that difficult to accomplish either.  Where most people who are aspiring to be a commercial operator fail is in their belief that if your a good drone operator then you’ll be successful.  Although the drone is the enabler, it is the least important element to success.  You can’t be a great carpenter without a hammer, but your success as a carpenter isn’t defined by the hammer.  (Something like that).  

By far the best response to "new business" inquiry I have read so far!

THANKS!!

• Like 1