MrHans

Pre and Post Disaster use of UAV in Emergency Management Operations

I would like to hear what other communities throughout the country are doing to integrate UAV operations in to their planning, exercises, training, and response.  I am wanting to discuss agency policies, plans and procedures as well best practices.   As a side bar the sharing of contact info to share additional information would also be encouraged within this conversation.

Here are a few resources that are top of mind right now:

Can you share more information about what your vision is and any other relevant notes around budget, timing, what you need, etc.?

I review and write plans for County response for the Department of Emergency Management (DEM).  What I see is that there is no real conversation happening about the pros and cons to drone use during response and recovery operations after a disaster. 

Topics I would love to discuss is the use of drones for building inspections after an event,  GIS mapping use plans post event,  HAZMAT spill or response use, Bridge inspections,  Road closure verification due to flood.  Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) applications,  and so on.   

These stories could help usher a huge use of drones within the DEM realm thus the need for SOG, SOP, and use guidelines as well as documentation of use and data management requirements for these types of operations.

All of these uses I categorize as EM Drone Activities

Hello Mr. Hans,

If you break the mission sets down via the National Response Framework (NRF) core mission areas of protection, prevention, mitigation, response, and recovery, both UAS and Tethered Aerostat Systems (TAS)™ show incredible potential.  Most folks are only thinking about response and recovery, but the UAS/GIS component becomes critical for the preparedness stages as well.

Here is a brief example of how we integrated UAS and TAS into a FSE on January 24 here in Miami: sUAS News  Happy to have a conversation with you as needed to discuss further.

• Thanks 1

Hello Todd

I totally agree with you about the scope of use for UAV and other unmanned aerial platforms,  Funding creativity could draw from all those uses within a county or municipal government.  I would love to see more conversation about specific use failures and successes.  

My present focus is on response and recovery because that is the nature of my position.  This does not stop me from making notes for future projects.

HAZMAT, damage assessment, Search and Rescue, Bridge inspections, and fire response are on my immediate interest list.

Looking for policies, SOP, SOG, and best practices tools, tactic and techniques.

I cobbled together a rough Annex for our county comprehensive emergency management plan. It talks mostly about data retention and required disposal of non evidence (Criminal) information.  This is at best a minimal guidance document.

Please keep me in your email stream on any new ideas and I will do the same.  I am a retired Florida National Guard member (34 Yrs)

Thanks for sharing.

Hans

• Like 1

You bet -- since you are based in Florida, you may want to consider attending our UAS DRONES Disaster Conference which will be held at Florida International University's Kovens Conference Center in North Miami on April 11-12.  AIRT has partnered with FIU's Academy for International Disaster Preparedness to host the conference which will explore the emerging role of UAS and related technologies for emergency management and disaster response.  The schedule will be released soon.  In the meantime, you can learn more via http://miami.uasdrones.org

Also, you can save 50% off the lowest available conference registration price by using the promotional code "AIRT" at checkout.  Hope to see you there!

Thanks for the INFO  I am alas in Washington State now helping this county develop sound plans.  Unfortunately embracing the new technologies can be difficult in communities that are "disaster deficient".  I think I am going to approach this from a HAZMAT and terrorism response angle.  Protecting the environment out here is paramount in everyone's mind.  Thanks for the seminar info, I may come get some sun anyways.