JCFP

Helipad/Airstrip Notification beyond LAANC

Hey all, I went through DPGS last year, prior to LAANC rolling out, and now I've got a Q - If I (a 107 cert holder) am planning to fly in an area where LAANC approval is available, do I need to also call/notify nearby heliports and airstrips, or are they able to "see" my flight info from LAANC, just like a towered airport? 

Yo @JCFP — thanks for the @ shout out and appreciate you posting this question.

If you're operating under Part 107 and requesting LAANC authorization, you will not be asked to also call or notify the towers or airport managers provided your flight mission falls within the maximum allowable altitudes.

I'm afraid I haven't LAANC too much myself. Last week, I ran through it using Airmap, and other than needing to provide my phone number and to verify it during the approval request, a counter just started, and they wanted me to tap it again when my flight mission was done.

Very straightforward, took about 5 minutes to talk through. Would recommend using Kittyhawk or Airmap or Skyward and creating a mock mission so you can see how it works.

There are opportunities, of course, to work with the tower directly if your mission requires additional consideration and the automated process isn't working.

Hope that helps? Hope others can chime in with their own experiences.

Great thanks Alan. I've used the LAANC function in Airmap before, but didn't think of also notifying hospitals, heliports, and such until after. I do like the fact Airmap gives you a way to communicate the end to your flying via your remote's device, as opposed to Skyward, which I think one would have to do manually. One issue I ran into with Airmap, though, is they will only let you schedule LAANC submission for one drone at a time. I just applied for my backup in Skyward as a workaround, but obviously, it'd be nice to be able to do both at once and concurrently. 

Anyway, thanks for the info!

18 hours ago, JCFP said:

One issue I ran into with Airmap, though, is they will only let you schedule LAANC submission for one drone at a time.

Interesting, I didn't know that!

On 1/18/2019 at 11:37 PM, JCFP said:

Great thanks Alan. I've used the LAANC function in Airmap before, but didn't think of also notifying hospitals, heliports, and such until after. I do like the fact Airmap gives you a way to communicate the end to your flying via your remote's device, as opposed to Skyward, which I think one would have to do manually. One issue I ran into with Airmap, though, is they will only let you schedule LAANC submission for one drone at a time. I just applied for my backup in Skyward as a workaround, but obviously, it'd be nice to be able to do both at once and concurrently. 

Anyway, thanks for the info!

I've used Airmap once, it was a bit confusing. I need to work with it more. Always interested in others experience.

May I suggest you contact Airmap and let them know it would be good to add a feature for multiple drones in one submission or a way to to have multiple submissions open at the same time? Companies are always looking for feedback to make their products the most useful to their customers.