Alan Perlman

Looking for Part 107 Pilot in Tampa, Florida

Hi all, got this message from Chris at Corporate FL and wanted to pass along.

Good opportunity for a beginner pilot looking for some mapping experience.

Note that they're not looking for someone to come and fly. They just need a certified pilot to act as Remote PIC so they can stay compliant. Their pilot will be flying the mission, but you can shadow / ask questions and network.

You'll also be getting paid for your time!

We are looking for a Part 107 licensed pilot in the Tampa area for Wednesday (01/ 30/2019) 9am ET sharp.

Our goal is to film the roof of a multistory building for an inspection, and we require a licensed pilot to act as Remote Pilot-in-Command.

We will be using a DJI drone and the Drone Deploy software for this flight.

Our pilot has experience with the software and drone.

You will not be expected to know the software or drone we are using.

So come expecting to learn something new, exciting, and very useful for your pilot career.

We will be doing a few short flights, with the whole process lasting from 9am to 12 noon.

We can be contacted via email at  chris.ortiz@corporatefl.com  or by phone at 813-551-7689.

We will need a response ASAP to ensure we have everything taken care of.

There will be some compensation for your time as well, contact us to discuss details

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to call or email anytime!

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks for posting this request Alan. I was able to assist Chris at Corporate FL and we completed the project on time. 

Jim

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jallen813 said:

Thanks for posting this request Alan. I was able to assist Chris at Corporate FL and we completed the project on time. 

Jim

Great to hear it and thanks for closing the loop.

Alan, with their request stipulations, wouldn't Corporation, FL be putting the remote PIC in legal jeopardy?  They said that the remote PIC did not have to know anything about the drone or the software.  According to part 107, the remote PIC would have to take over the controls in case of an emergency.  Just asking.

Edited by d_hanko
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Technically you make a reasonable point, however there’s no skills requirement in the Part 107 certification.  The PIC has to be within reach to take over the controls in case of an emergency but without a skills component who’s to say that they have any better of a chance of recovery than the operator.  

That sounds odd, but actually as long as the PIC determines the competency of the operator then that’s fine.   The PIC is there for safety.  I’m a PIC and I never fly.  

Although I think  the request was worded poorly, I don’t think they put the PIC in conflict with the rule 107.  

On 2/2/2019 at 1:00 AM, d_hanko said:

Alan, with their request stipulations, wouldn't Corporation, FL be putting the remote PIC in legal jeopardy?  They said that the remote PIC did not have to know anything about the drone or the software.  According to part 107, the remote PIC would have to take over the controls in case of an emergency.  Just asking.

The RP would be the one to determine if they were qualified to act as RPIC.  If, for example, they signed on to the gig and had no idea how to operate the particular craft and something went wrong, they would definitely be in the soup.  The client can ask for whatever they want.  The certificate holder is the one that has a decision to make.

It is kind of interesting (silly) that Corp.FL (whatever that is) has some kind of program going on that involves sUAS, yet don't bother getting their experienced "pilot" a proper certification.

Edited by Dave Pitman

Well said, @Av8Chuck and @Dave Pitman.

I believe they were in the process of getting one of their pilots through the certification process. The timing was such that they didn't want to lose out on this gig and they were looking for a creative way to get it done while they're still getting set up with the FAA.