Joey Ambrose

Drone Directories - which ones matter?

I recently registered with FlyGuys as well. They don’t make it a bidding war race to the bottom, but I haven’t gotten any work from any of them. More so through word of mouth and friends. 

The incredible speed at which the “drone” market has grown was a result of the confluence of technologies, one of which was the internet and the use of forums that enabled a “maker community” to thrive.  The downfall of the “commercial UAV” industry will be peoples over reliance on the internet.  

Once the “drone” became a consumer commodity and any idiot with about $1500 could go online or to BestBuy purchase a ready to fly drone and call themselves a “professional” the internet went from being an enabling technology that was part of the solution to one that is now the problem.  There’s no filter, no way to predict the outcome based on the inflows.  

We placed adds in a couple of forums regarding work, OMG, the response was a bit overwhelming.  Certainly met some nice people but the percentage of qualified applicants was incredibly low.  

1 hour ago, Av8Chuck said:

Once the “drone” became a consumer commodity and any idiot with about $1500 could go online or to BestBuy purchase a ready to fly drone and call themselves a “professional”

Thanks Chuck. I'm one of those idiots that spent $1500 at Best Buy and yes, I am now a professional with the help of Alan's course and a crap-ton of research and practice. Why would you make a comment like that in a forum that's meant to be supportive?

I originally bought the drone to supplement my real estate and commercial photography business with drone aerial photo and video, and that is going very well, but now I see other opportunities to get more return on my investment and step up the amount and number of billable hours. In addition to my own work, I'm now taking overflow from another pilot. He's a leader in the market and passing some excellent work to me, but so far I've seen nothing from directories other than bargain shoppers. Targeted networking and partnering has been most successful. 

Thanks Alan and Knoid for your responses. 

1 hour ago, Joey Ambrose said:

I originally bought the drone to supplement my real estate and commercial photography business with drone aerial photo and video, and that is going very well, but now I see other opportunities to get more return on my investment and step up the amount and number of billable hours.

You make my point for me.  You had a commercial photography business and you added aerial, that’s what makes you a professional, not the fact that you purchased a toy and paid $150 for a certificate. 

but so far I've seen nothing from directories other than bargain shoppers.

What do you expect?  How is this different from people who shoot property video with a cell phone.  It’s not the technology but the understanding of what it means to be a professional in your chosen industry. 

Thanks Chuck. I'm one of those idiots that spent $1500 at Best Buy and yes, I am now a professional with the help of Alan's course and a crap-ton of research and practice. Why would you make a comment like that in a forum that's meant to be supportive?

What makes an idiot is someone who thinks that all there is to being a professional is buying something, getting a certificate and Using a website to find work for you.  

I’m not calling anyone an idiot, I just think it’s idiotic to think this is a recipe for success.  

7 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

We placed adds in a couple of forums regarding work, OMG, the response was a bit overwhelming.  Certainly met some nice people but the percentage of qualified applicants was incredibly low.

I was considering applying for a spot but I'm booked for the time frame.  How many applicants did you get?

10 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

As someone that has done hiring outside of the drone industry, this is an issue for all of them. I mean, you put minimum requirements out in a job posting yet so many people just throw their resume in the ring. It is way overwhelming. Personally, I’d like to see a note that says, if you do not meet our minimum requirements yet submit your resume, we will not consider you for employment for the next XX months. Maybe people wouldn’t do it if they knew they would be blacklisted. Then again, perhaps that wouldn’t work at all. At least if you are specific in your posting and there are a ton of qualms, you can filter applicants out rather quickly. 

That’s one of the qualms I have and was the true intention of my earlier post.  People often say how fast technology is changing as though that’s a good thing, yet recently my cell service sucks, email sucks, the internet is not secure, Alexa can spy on you and your drone can phone home.  WTF!?  

I keep trying to convince myself that it’s not me getting old and telling all the millennials to get off my front yard.  But a lot more people are begining to share my point of view.  It used to be that good engineering meant you designed something that worked everytime you used it, now people seem to care more about the bells and whistles and less about the quality and reliability.  

Totally agree, Chuck. But I try not to get too frustrated with the things I can't control. It doesn't help, so a more laissez-faire attitude keeps my sanity.

On 2/9/2019 at 2:00 PM, Joey Ambrose said:

Targeted networking and partnering has been most successful

YES, would love for you to unpack this some more if you're willing to share what's worked for you.

We're actually trying to be a little more proactive this year when it comes to growing both our online and offline (hands-on) training programs — and that means targeted outreach and hopefully some more successful partnerships :)

I would like to find out more what pilots are looking for from a marketplace or the ability to make a marketable profile. 

I am developing an index to rank pilots through our platform - in hopes of allowing expert and experienced pilots to make what they are worth and creating a pipeline for new pilots to start with more budget conscience clients. ( more like linked-in then drone base) 

What would help you most in creating appropriate pricing and reaching the right level of client?

On 2/9/2019 at 11:56 AM, Av8Chuck said:

@Av8Chuck I am very curious about your criteria is when looking for a qualified pilot?

And if possible could I send my information over to you. Less in regards for looking for a job, but more so to see where I measure up in a very competitive market. 

Best,