Sign in to follow this  
Spitfire76

FAA Makes Major Drone ID Marking Change

Thanks for sharing @Spitfire76

You can get all the details of the new rule in our post: What Drone Operators Need to Know About the FAA’s Major Change to the Drone ID Marking Rule.

The rule requires small drone owners to display the FAA-issued registration number on an outside surface of the aircraft. Owners and operators may no longer place or write registration numbers in an interior compartment.

• Like 1

So what methods are people going to do to put their number on their drone? That is what I am not finding. Am I suppose to print a small piece of paper and tape it on to the drone. Where I live, we get a lot of high precipitation and humidity, and I feel like that label would come right off. 

Just some of my thoughts, I would like to find out more.

I have a question. I'm new to the drone thing (about 6 months in).  I did pass my AKT Test today (yaye for me!) and when I posted my news in a new UAV Group i joined a month ago, questions / comments came up about whether the test i passed was "for a hobbyist, or towards part 107 use."  honestly I wasn't aware of any Knowledge test for a hobbyist

Further into the comments on my post, they also made a comment about "hobbyist registration" versus "Commercial Registration" in adjunct response to that Interim Rule for ID publish yesterday...  again, i didn't know there were two options for reg. can anyone comment on these items?

3 hours ago, Philip Moore said:

So what methods are people going to do to put their number on their drone? That is what I am not finding. Am I suppose to print a small piece of paper and tape it on to the drone. Where I live, we get a lot of high precipitation and humidity, and I feel like that label would come right off. 

I used a sharpie and wrote mine on the hull.  true they didn't specify "How it must be marked" either in 2015 of original rule, nor add language for the Interim rule. the most significant piece of the change was that the number must be "on the surface" and not in an inside compartment which the 2015 rule allowed for.  I'll take a pic of mine and post it.  I used the sharpie bcoz i too was trying to find the best method that "wouldn't fall off" like you mentioned

Edited by Matisse

While I agree that registration markings should be required for all drones, I disagree with the logic used in the FAA's discussion of such.  If someone is going to use a drone to deliver an explosive device which is triggered to detonate when the battery compartment door is opened, is he really going to have a registration number on the outside (or inside).  If first responders come across such an unmarked device or even a marked device perhaps they should exercise caution until they are certain.  

I just received labels from www.reclaimdrone.com. For only $4, shipping included. Very professional service. If you sell your UAS, just peel off the stickers.  I was impressed...

On 2/14/2019 at 6:37 PM, Philip Moore said:

I use a Brother label maker. Sticks just fine hot, cold, wet. dry.