Greetings from the Shenandoah Valley of Northwestern Virginia.

About a year ago I saw an ad for an "in person" course in drone certification at a community college.  It was a week long course but I was not able to get the time off from work approved.  I never took the course, but the interest remained.  My girlfriend gave me a drone for Christmas this past year and I want to learn how to fly it the right way, so I can safely pursue a fun hobby and maybe do it professionally as well, since it seems to be a growing industry. 

I've been fascinated by aviation in general as long as I can remember and now I'm ready to do something about it.

Welcome to the forum @Eagle Tom.  

You don't need to get your Part 107 to learn how to fly a drone safely.  There is no skills component in the 107 so many think once they have that their good to go.  

Learning primary flight control is the right way to go, its easy - just takes practice, and once you get the hang of flying in all orientations then your much better prepared to be a professional if thats what you choose.

What kind of drone did you get?