Flight Plan Examples? Tools?

All-

I'm planning on doing a flight around a college campus where you need prior authorization first. Part of the request requires uploading a flight plan. Does anyone know what this might look like? Is it really a map showing the area I want to fly? Or just describing the areas I was planning on flying? If they want a map, are there any tools out there? Or could I just get a Google maps image and mock something up in Photoshop (I'm pretty decent in PS, so I'm sure I could if I knew what I should be doing). Thanks for any feedback and sorry for the newb question.

-Bill

Yeah, other than a hospital and a helipad, the campus is totally unrestricted from an FAA stand point. I've already contacted the local municipal airport to just be courteous and let them know when I am flying and they seem super cool. But having to get approval 90 days out seems pretty tough. So if I'm hoping for great skies/clouds/etc., I guess I just have to be lucky with the days/times I pick.

Thanks!

Hey Bill,

Check out Drone Deploy, Pix4d Capture or Litchi for flight planning. Drone deploy is primarily for mapping, Pix4d is also, but has a nice free flight took that will allow you to take a photo whenever the drone travels x distance both horizontally and vertically.  If you are mapping, Drine deploy might be your best bet because it has a desktop PC application where you can pre plan your mission. You could do that and do a screen shot to send to the University. Form your post it sounds like you are not mapping so Litchi might be your best bet. It's a paid app, but the small fee is well worth it. You can plan the flight on the desktop and set up to 100 waypoints and specify what to do at each waypoint, like stop pan 30 degrees tilt camera to 60, take a picture or start recording video, etc. It makes much smoother videos than I can ever get flying freehand.

As far as the planning 90 days out, why not give them a date range of a week or so to give you a chance of getting good conditions? FAA allows you to do that..

Good luck!

Thanks, that is great feedback. Sorry, I should have added this. Yes, it will primarily be to capture photos and video and I have a DJI Mavic 2 Pro.

I was going to mention the date range. Since it was the first time I've done the request with them, I mostly wanted to see how the approval process works. Maybe they would be more likely to reject a request with a range as opposed to a single day/time. 

But I'll definitely check out Litchi. Thanks again!

On 2/18/2019 at 12:37 PM, William Easton said:

I'm planning on doing a flight around a college campus where you need prior authorization first. Part of the request requires uploading a flight plan.

17 minutes ago, William Easton said:

I was going to mention the date range. Since it was the first time I've done the request with them, I mostly wanted to see how the approval process works.

William,  You keep mentioning 90 prior approval but you don't say who you need approval from.  If it's not controlled airspace, you don't need any approval from the FAA.  If you need approval from the University to operate from their property, they should help you out with the process.

I suspect they don't want to see what software you'll use, what your exact flight path will be and what color shirt you will wear.  They will want to know location, altitude and operation time beginning and ending is my guess.

Edited by Dave Pitman
12 minutes ago, William Easton said:

Yes, sorry, the University is the one I need approval from. Here is the info and a link to the request form:

https://uiowa.edu/riskmanagement/drone-flight-request

That's pretty basic stuff. 

For this:

A detailed description of the proposed Drone activity including proposed dates a clearly marked flight plan, and purpose;

Just take a google satellite image and possibly a campus map and show exactly where you would like to operate and what you will be capturing. No need to make it complicated.

BTW, it states 14 days prior but maybe they told you something else.

Edited by Dave Pitman