Isabella | UAV Coach

Giveaway: Win a VIP Pass to AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2019

**The entry period for this giveaway has closed. Congrats to our winners @Mike Frye@Euphorion@Dioptra Adam@Teri B , and @Ed Kozak . Information on how to claim your VIP Pass has been sent to the winners via email.**

Greetings from UAV Coach —

We're excited to announce an exciting opportunity for our UAV Coach community members. Providing a space for drone pilots to network, to share stories, and to offer advice to one another is a passion of ours. We hope to provide you with opportunities to grow and advance in the industry. That's why we've partnered with AUVSI to host an awesome giveaway.

UAV Coach is giving away five VIP Passes to AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2019, the largest, most comprehensive trade show for unmanned and autonomous systems. At this conference, the winner will get to connect with 8,500 technologists, regulators, and users across commercial and defense sectors. The winner will also have an opportunity to meet with members of the UAV Coach staff attending the conference. 

The conference takes place April 29 - May 2, 2019, at McCormick Place in Chicago, Illinois. 

Prize

Five winners will be selected to receive one VIP Pass, valued at $1,599. With this pass, you'll have access to: 

• All four days of the conference, including educational programming
  • XPO Hall
  • Keynote Sessions
  • Women and Diversity in Robotics Special Event
  • Startup Showdown Competition 
  • Conference Proceedings
  • VIP Club Access
  • Chairman's Reception

Winners are responsible for their own travel, stay, and dining accommodations. 

How to Enter

To enter, tell us why you want to attend AUVSI XPONENTIAL in up to 300 words by replying to this post. Scroll to the bottom of this post and enter your reply by March 5, 11:59 PM for a chance to win one of five passes to AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2019. 

Giveaway Details

Contest Opened: February 20, 2019, 12:00 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST)
Contest Closes: March 5, 2019, 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time (EST)

Prize: One (1) VIP PASS to AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2019
Winners: Five (5)

Whether you're new to unmanned systems or have been in the industry for years, AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2019 has something for everyone. XPONENTIAL brings together people, speakers, and exhibitors from across the globe and from more than 20 industries to convene to discuss where the industry is now, and where it is headed. There will be over 700 exhibitors to see unmanned systems in action and over 150 sessions for learning. Whether it’s hands-on demos, thought-provoking keynotes or speed-networking sessions, we give you the opportunity to experience all things unmanned. Submit your entry by March 5, 2019, 11:59 PM EST for a chance to win! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brock Jones, Founder of OVERSEARTH LLC. is planning to attend the conference to make new friends, see old ones and gain insight on how to have a greater impact on serving his industry. About fifteen years as an R.C. pilot, R.C. club founding partner, sponsored pilot, after-market parts mfg. and flying addict led me to become a Sr. Tech at Lockheed Martin. While I may have been hired to be a test pilot I quickly wore many hats at Lockheed often working all day and night to meet exceedingly high demands. During my employment at Lockheed I was a UAV builder/designer, mobile GCU builder/maint, test Pilot, fleet manager, shop manager and safety officer. I hand built not only prototypes but final products and was not a only part of the process for much of what was made at our location but a designer of it every day; helping to improve every aspect in alignment with the goals of upper management, corporate and the 28 or so incredible engineers that were a part of our team. I must say it was the funnest most rewarding team outside of my family of 8 that I have ever had the pleasure of being a part of, a rare experience and one of the even more rare times that I did not regret getting a job as I am quite the free bird. I have recently moved from Utah and had a break from the industry enjoying the Oregon coast with my family. I have a handful of other small businesses that UAV's will benefit and will be taking the test in just a few days to acquire my Part 107 Drone Pilot License which was not required nor available when I test flew at Dugway Proving Grounds or otherwise. The conference will not only benefit the operations of OVERSEARTH LLC but also my much larger vision of serving all of the small UAV businesses in the USA and even around the world. I would like to use the experience from the 25 years I have being self employed in numerous capacities to create better tools and implement business strategies to help others succeed, even where I know I have failed; more so. I will not be unveiling anything at the conference this year nor will I carry an agenda. The goal is to open my eyes to a bigger picture of what has been taking place right under my nose and over my knows. Inevitably I will find out that someone has been there and done that, nothing new has been done under the sun. This adventure at this point is not about what I can do, rather what has already been done for me; The first shall be last and the last shall be first and so this career circle is most definitely an aspiring helix in such an exciting industry. Fare well and I hope that you do not bite the dust before you have tasted the air and drank the water.

Oversearth 3 inchjpgV3.jpg

As a new Part 107 certified pilot I am excited to attend the conference to gain as much knowledge as I can about the industry. I started out flying small drones for fun and bonding with my young son almost 4 years ago and have since fallen in love with all things drone related. This opportunity would be invaluable to my growth and development as a drone pilot. 

Yohan Jin, a photographer.

As a photographer, it is a never ending journey to find different point of view to look at the world.  Since I took the drone lesson last week, it really fascinated me at the fact how I could use the drone to compose an image as opposed to just my hands and tripod.  I want to explore more about the drone “world” and the technology since I have already decided to incorporate drone into my photography.

Thank you.

Edited by Jin Yo Han

Ed Galicinao

New to sUAS I would like learn more about the UAS Industry.

Completed Carroll County Community College Maryland "Commercial UAS (Drone) Pilot Workforce Training" FAA REMOTE PILOT Certificate 

Completed the USI UNMANNED SAFETY INSTITUTE's "Small UAS Safety Certificate Program" 

Thank You 

Hello, my name is Eli Hartnett and I am from Oxford, Mississippi. I am currently an 18 year old senior high school student and drone pilot in command for my company Aerial Productions Photography LLC. I started my company at age 14 after being inspired by my 8th grade STEM class. I have since worked with many in and out of state companies in real estate for advertisement, insurance companies with 3D models/topography maps, and the local police department with 3D modes and 2D maps for safety in my school district. Please checkout my website at aerialprodphotography.com to see more on what I have done!

Because I want to keep growing my business, I am now looking to purchase my second drone, a Matrice 200 V1 or V2, to expand my services and work with bigger companies while I transition to college this next year. I plan to major in Mechanical Engineering, minor in Entrepreneurship, and do a special program which teaches you about manufacturing. 

I have been told by many people I should check out this conference when I share my interests with them. After reading your article I now may get the chance! I believe this would help me grow my business and possibly impact others by meeting extroidinary people, listening to informative speakers, and experiencing the tech first hand. Drones and technology have always excited me and I would love the opportunity to be apart of this well known experience. 

Lawson Clements wants to attend the AUVSI xPotential 2019 conference in order to better learn and serve my battered community after Hurricane Michael devastation. My local neighbors in Port St Joe, Mexico Beach and Panama City Florida are in need of Drone inspections and visual review of areas under reconstruction. As a Drone “start up entrepreneur” founding Unmanned Aerial Systems LLC, also known as UAS, I am dedicated to help expedite the speedy recovery of the Florida panhandle. I believe in attending the AUVSI conference which will assist me gaining knowledge, education and meet with experts to assist with this endeavor. If, I am so honored  to receive this conference pass, I agree to attend and pay for my transportation and accommodations and other terms as specified. Thank you. 

DroneLogix, founded by David Ebaugh in 2018, is located in the Dallas, TX area. We provide FAA-approved, safety-first, affordable, insured flight operations and aerial image/data acquisition services to a variety of industries.  Currently, our fastest growth is in the construction sector, where we demonstrate safe operations on a daily basis.  Our commitment to safety began with training received from UAV Coach, and due to the quality of its content and platform we will continue to use UAV Coach as our preferred Part 107 training provider.  We are an AUVSI member and we require that our pilots are at least TOP Level 1 certified.  We believe implementing industry standards for training, safe flight operations, and other best practices helps elevate the entire unmanned aerial systems industry. We missed attending XPONENTIAL 2018 and would love to attend XPONENTIAL 2019 to connect with our industry peers and service providers and to learn more about trends , products, and safety solutions.  Of course, meeting with members of the UAV Coach staff would be a bonus.  If we are selected as a winner, we hope to see you there!

Edited by DroneLogix

I am Enwongo Michael, a student of aeronautics and astronautics engineering. I want to attend the AUVSI XPONENTIAL because it’ll be a great opportunity for me to meet with experts that are already in the drone industry . Currently I’m working on developing drone designs that will be used in diverse sectors ( Agriculture, Minning, Real estate, seismographic analysis, cartography and construction). Attending  this conference will serve as a great opportunity for me to rub minds with other individuals, experts and enthusiasts in the drone industry and as a result gain intellectual support. I will be honored if I am selected as one of the participants. Thanks in advance for your consideration. 

Edited by Enwongo Ekong

Buddha George Consulting, Inc. (BGCI) is a 1-person strategic advisory consulting firm that specializes in mission focused technology solutions to address the hard problems of DoD and Intelligence Community companies.  There is a large movement in the federal government to understand and utilize drones to address many mission needs.  As a retired Naval aviator, I have been training and educating myself on the sUAS/drone market through professional education and hands-on drone proficiency.  This has been focused in order to pivot into providing drone services to meet the challenges faced by many companies and federal agencies.  I recently joined AUVSI and have also been attending their webinars and reading their daily email blasts.  It is now time to begin marketing myself, get additional training and education from the best in the industry, and see the breadth of what industry can bring.  XPONENTIAL 2019 is the right forum for me to learn, market, and network to find my niche in the drone industry.  This is the place to be if I want to make an impact.

I would like to attend the AUVSI APOTENTIAL 2019 as a stepping-stone into an industry which I have grown to love and follow with a passion.  As a retired engineer, I am breaking into this new industry which holds such great promise for our communities and world in the 21st century.   Specifically, my passion rests with the benefits of this technology to the vineyard industry, as I am also a retired vintner.   I imagine a world where a farmer can inspect his vineyard from the air, monitor irrigation control, pest control, and weather effects!  The infra-red and heat-sensing technologies potentially available by drone are almost unimaginable.  I want to be a part of it!

My name is Jay Burnham.  I am a thirty five year veteran of the real estate industry. I originally bought my first drone (Mavic Pro) in order to take aerial photos of homes I listed for sale.  Almost immediately I discovered that I would need to get my sUAS remote pilot license in order to use the photos commercially.  I took a great online course and passed the exam at my local airport, two years ago.  Over the next several months I developed a business plan to transition from real estate sales into aerial photography and video services.  I established North Shore Drone Services and began offering services to other real estate agents.  But then an unusual thing happened.  The plan, which was expected to be fully implemented within two years so that I could retire from real estate and devote full time to my drone business, took off (pun intended) much faster than I anticipated.  So now, two years and two drones into that new career, I am extremely excited about the opportunities associated with drone technology and the potential to continue the growth of my new business.  Attending the AUVSI XPONENTIAL Trade Show would surely expand my growth and learning in our relatively new industry and so I would be pleased to attend should I be fortunate enough to be chosen to go.

Thank you for your consideration.

Kind regards,

Jay Burnham
North Shore Drone Services
Hamilton, MA  01982

Greetings from the currently covered in snow state of Nebraska!  I would love to attend the conference as I have just finished the classes to take my test to be a pilot.  I currently own a service and repair business in Omaha and I am interested in growing my business in a new direction.  I am most interested in making connections and learning as much as possible in the agriculture and land mapping side of drones.  I would like to become a resource for farmers of the Midwest and get my boys involved as a potential career along with teaching them the service and repair business.

1 hour ago, Atomic Steve said:

Greetings from the currently covered in snow state of Nebraska!  I would love to attend the conference as I have just finished the classes to take my test to be a pilot.  I currently own a service and repair business in Omaha and I am interested in growing my business in a new direction.  I am most interested in making connections and learning as much as possible in the agriculture and land mapping side of drones.  I would like to become a resource for farmers of the Midwest and get my boys involved as a potential career along with teaching them the service and repair business.

Steve, did you watch the recent AUVSI Webinar on this? It was very interesting! I've been an arborist for the last 21 years and have similar interests as you with these regards. As a licensed pesticide applicator in Utah I have considered doing the footwork to obtain reciprocal licenses in Oregon and Idaho since I live in Oregon and commute to Utah for work now; then also obtain the other necessary licenses to perform aerial spraying with a drone and do aerial inspections. Maybe we can start a thread within the forums to discuss this; I've been learning some cool stuff to share as I am sure you have too! 

I'd like to attend the AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2019 conference to show that this is an opportunity for seniors, too. I look forward to contributing to a field that has the possibility to disrupt in a positive way. I am working on FAA certification and hope to be moving further into the field once I have achieved certification. Also, I am looking forward to adding drone photography to my set of photographic skills. My background includes book publishing and technical communication, so I am interested in seeing how I can merge drone work and communications skills. I've just begun to scratch the surface. Thanks!

I’m not an excitable person, but attending AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2019 would be very very exciting to me. All of the things to see and learn would be wonderful for anyone to experience.  Thank you. 

Since childhood, flying objects always intrigued me. I pursued the field of aerospace because I wanted to learn more about the airplanes. And now, as the technology has advanced further, I have gained a lot of interest in UAVs. My interest in UAVs led me to further opt for graduate studies in the same (Aerospace Engineering with focus on UAVs & Drones) ! In my opinion, UAVs hold very high potential for the future. The technology, if applied correctly, can do wonders! I am currently studying independently for getting FAA Certified Pilot Certificate. Also, I am working on my own Startup idea that  involves drone technology. Being able to attend AUVSI  XPONENTIAL 2019 would serve as a golden opportunity for me; which will help me interact and see for myself the applications of Drones along with the rules and regulations that surround the technology and how companies are creating a bridge between their ideas and the regulations! It will also help me understand the current needs of the market and know closely about the problems companies are working towards. If given a chance, I am affirmative that attending the conference will help me pave the way to make better decisions while I work on my startup and to improve my technical skills.

Working on Drones is my passion. I am a college student who has made a quadcopter and a Hexacopter prototype. Also I am well versed with the phantom 4 drone. Attending the AUVSI xponential 2019 would be really beneficial and would help me improve on my career to become a drone pilot and start a drone company.

I see Drones as a big part of our future. Someone else said above that working on Drones is my passion. I also feel the same way. I guess you could say I am in love with Drones. The beauty of flying a Drone well, with smooth maneuvers and perfect flights gives a great feeling. I search for ways to push the limits and find new ways to use and fly Drones. I am crazy about Intel's light shows with the Shooting Star. I went back to school last spring and not really knowing what job I wanted when I got out. I have found my calling to fly Drones for a living. I want to program Drones to work in a group and maneuver through the forest and difficult terrain. If you see a really great Drone tell it I am coming for you.

Hello, my name is Mike. I studied sectional charts on the school lawn during Middle School breaks while others played games. I also joined Civil Air Patrol for any chance to fly after school.

After earning my Private Pilot Certificate [ASEL] at age 21, I served 6 years in the U.S. Navy graduating from the Nuclear Power School and became an Aircraft Carrier engine room supervisor. My passion for aviation led me to attend Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (Prescott campus) where I earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science with Aviation Applications.

I retired several years ago from a 25-year professional career in IT with Hewlett-Packard. My family knew that my love of aviation never left me and bought me a DJI Phantom 3 as a retirement gift. I started flying and learning all I could about the sUAS Industry.

I am a recent proud Drone Pilot Ground School alum. Two days ago, I earned my Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate! Soon, I will be the founder and owner of a new Colorado Springs based Drone Services business.

The drone industry markets I am currently interested in are Photography/Cinematography, Real Estate, Mapping/Surveying. Because I live in Colorado, my business will eventually focus on Mining, Oil/Gas, and Agriculture.

Though I am relatively new to unmanned systems, I would like to attend AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2019 where I hope to have the opportunity to network with like-minded people, enter the industry on the leading edge, and take home the wisdom of industry trailblazers would be a remarkable opportunity. Thank you for considering me for this amazing learning opportunity as I kick off my new career.

Sincerely,

Mike Frye

Drone + Tree Climbing = A Painful Reality

Hello, I am Charlene Sligting visual story teller and owner of Docha Real Estate Photography. Being new, and a rookie to operating a drone, I made the PAINFUL mistake of thinking I could learn about flying a drone by merely watching You Tube videos. It truly was a painful mistake. Last fall I was flying my drone to capture images of a home and I heard a warning my battery had 30 seconds left to fly back. I didn’t gauge the timing correctly and it came back landing on top of a tree. I decided to retrieve my new drone. That is where the painful mistake comes in. A branch broke during my climb up and I fell 25 feet down resulting in me breaking two ribs, bruising my esophagus, blood in my lungs and a not so lovey gash in my chin. I received my replacement drone in December and have yet to set it up and calibrated it because I recognize I really have no clue on how to safely operate or use a drone.

With this found new reality check I signed up to learn one-on-one class from a UAV Coach and became aware of the AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2019 conference. This conference is exactly what I need to learn the correct way to become a drone operator, absorb information from industry experts and network with other drone operators. Unfortunately, due to my medical bills, my budget does not allow me to register for the conference. If chosen, I reside about one hour outside of Chicago and would commute daily to the conference.

Your consideration is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Charlene Sligting

Hello -- My name is Eugene Brill and I am a self-described Digital Nomad, Wannabe Naturalist and Business Strategy Consultant. Recently I completed a stint as Entrepreneur in Residence (EIR) and Lead Mentor at two Startup Business Accelerators/Incubators in New Orleans, LA. Subscribing to the Lean Startup Methodologies by addressing Vision, Strategy and Product, I help companies navigate the turbulent waters of being a successful entrepreneur. I focus primarily on environmental companies in sustainable industries… non-profits & for-profit companies, assisting to develop transparent and Scalable Revenue Models, Relationship Marketing Plans as well as helping them to live up to their Mission Statements. One of the companies I currently mentor is a drone services business, and I just purchased my first drone on his recommendation… and loving it!

I’m always on the lookout for businesses in Sustainable Industries that manage and solve environmental issues and challenges. The drone industry lends itself perfectly to this definition.

I would like to part of the environmental solution by getting involved and making a difference.

Sincerely,
Eugene

Hi, UAV team! Greetings to Drone community from Houston, TX!

My name is Marina and I'm new part 107 certified pilot. Flying drones was a family hobby for about a year, then I realized that it took my thoughts and imagination. Now I'm a bit familiar with safe way of operating drone and an art side (like nice pictures and video) of collecting data and very interested to study more industrial (like LIDAR, Thermal, etc) data. I believe, that  AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2019 GIVEAWAY is a brilliant opportunity to learn more about drone industry! 

Thank you! 

And good luck for everyone!

Sincerely,

Marina Kovalchuk

Houston.jpg

Edited by Marina
picture

Dear UAV Coach,

My first exposure to UAS was in Puerto Rico. I was part of a team that provided aerial inspection services of the electrical transmission grid to FEMA. The use of drones was instrumental in saving time and resources as many hard to reach areas were typically inspected with the aid of helicopters. This was the summer of 2018.

I would very much like to attend the AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2019. I would like to see the technology that has to deal with response, monitoring and recovery missions.  I’m interested in seeing what the community has available in terms of battery advancements, drone capabilities to detect and avoid obstacles, and fresh ideas concerning drone swarms, communications thereof and real-time, in-flight data transmissions.

As stated above, I’m a Federal contractor with services provided in Puerto Rico. My intentions are to offer UAS capabilities in and around the area to assist in the ongoing recovery operations of FEMA and the USACE. The ability to build a network community in the UAS industry coupled with my genuine curiosity in the UAS space, drove me to submit this response. Together we can accomplish much.

Thank you,

Edited by Euphorion

Hi UAV Coaches,

I'm Brian Hoag, high school teacher at Roseville Area High School in Roseville, Minnesota.  I'm currently in the process of expanding our Drone /UAV program.  We allow students at the end of our course to take the FAA's Part 107 exam to become commercial drone pilots.  This year's first ever class certified 20 new commercial drone pilots!  Next year's enrollment to our program has doubled in size!  By attending AUVSI XPTENTIAL 2019 it would allow me to develop new  relationships / partnerships and bring more knowledge, technology  and equipment to our students in the numerous ways drone technology is being used.  We are looking to add an advanced course to our program and to develop our students skills further for a potential career in drone technology.  We are being approached by Agriculuture, law enforcement, DNR, industry and others for our students.  I need to learn more about how drones can be used in these areas.  Our goal is to develop a pipeline of drone pilots for our community and its ever growing needs.  We need your help in getting us connected to the industry!  Thanks for allowing us to apply for this unique opportunity!

Brian