Sign in to follow this  
Isabella | UAV Coach

5.8% of Certified Drone Pilots are Women

Women and Drones highlights the aviation gender gap in this illuminating article: Women Drone Pilots

Women account for 5.8% of certified FAA remote pilots. This number has steadily increased over the years, but the ratio of women compared to men in aviation is still significantly off balance.

Read the full article for more statistics on drone pilots, and let us know how you think this gender gap may affect the industry as a whole in the comments below. 

• Like 2

This isn’t so much about the ratio of women to men operators but the report mentions the following:  “The report went on to say “Like the internet and GPS before them, drones are evolving beyond their military origin to become powerful business tools.”

Civilain UAVs DID NOT COME FROM THE MILITARY!!!  How can you believe any report that is so fundimemtally flawed?

Again, I’m not disputing the gender gap, just the intelligence of the writer.

@Av8Chuck

Drones have been in use by the military for longer than they have been used by civilians for commercial purposes. I think that is fair and accurate to say, even while the technology supporting military UAVs may have developed on a track of its own, separate from the technology behind civilian and commercial drones. So no, civilian drones did not come from the military, I agree with you there. There are large differences in the design and purpose behind each. However, I don't think it's fair to discredit the writer based on their observation of UAV use evolving over time. 

And again, going back to the main point of the article, the gender gap has been documented and reported by credible sources, including the FAA's own U.S. Civil Airmen Statistics for anyone interested in taking a look at the numbers themselves. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 4:59 PM, Isabella | UAV Coach said:

Women and Droneshighlights the aviation gender gap...Women account for 5.8% of certified FAA remote pilots. This number has steadily increased over the years, but the ratio of women compared to men in aviation is still significantly off balance.

Where is it written that 50-50 is the ideal rate? This seems very arbitrary.

Nobody holds women back from purchasing drones, learning how to pilot them, and get certified. I know a few myself.

If something does hold them back (ex. unfair pay rates, etc.), then that's the root issue. 

Edited by Everett