Romulas

First Person View Glasses and a new Law

HeY!!!

I came accross a new video on Quadcopers with FPV and this nice Gentleman Stated that a New Law ,FPV Pilots can no Longer use Full Screen Glasses when flying, You now can only have one screen covering one eye,or use full screen goggles and a Copilot to maintain Line of Sight on the quadcopter at all times. >> Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

I will begin by stating I don't fly FPV nor plan to. Not sure what "new law" the gentleman is referring to, as the FAA (in the US) has not established anything new in the field of UAS rules and is waiting on final Senate approval of the FAA re-authorization bill. The current model (hobby) rules are in  AC No. 91-57A, which includes this :

" Section 336 of P.L. 112-95 defines a model aircraft as an unmanned aircraft that is capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere, flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft, and flown only for hobby or recreational purposes."

I fly commercially and the 333 rules specifically require the aircraft to within visual line of sight. Perhaps someone else can jump in and comment.

• Like 1

Thank You Uaviator

I think that the Video on you tube was an Austrailian but not sure ,but thank you for the update on FAA rules in the U.S.. I still have a long way to go before I need to submit a

FAA 333 form but I just needed to let you Advanced Pilots know about what's happening in the Community,and see what was being said about it.

Thank.s again  Romulas

Yes, technically flying FPV is illegal, yet it seems as if there's a bit of grey area there, with companies like Drone Racing League raising $1 million to conduct professional FPV races, and dozens and dozens of chapters of MultiGP.com sprouting up all over the U.S. (and world). One of many issues people have with the existing regulatory framework.