Delta

How would one get into the Drone Industry?

Hey guys, I'm still in high school, but I'm really passionate about joining the drone industry. Could anybody give some advice on getting a head-start? What sorts of skills/traits do companies look for? How can I get involved in real-world drone stuff (besides flying recreationally)? Should I start building a portfolio? I can't receive any sort of certification yet, because of Australian minimum age rules. I would appreciate any responses :) 

Hi, Delta!

Out of all the things you mention, the one thing you can do today is to get out there and start building that portfolio of yours :-) That's the one thing you can do on your own terms and in your own time, and it'll naturally help you with some of those other items you mentioned.

I find that every time I go out to a cool spot to catch some neat footage, people always have questions, comments, suggestions, and there is always an opportunity to network and be an advocate/liaison between the UAV community and the general public. I learn something new every time I do that!

• Like 3

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Just because you can't operate commercially doesn't mean you can't become an amazing multirotor pilot and have client experiences where you're working for free to build up your portfolio per @Kris's comment.

• Like 1

Thanks for your responses. I'm already going out every weekend to fly, so I'll continue this practice.

8 hours ago, Kris said:

Hi, Delta!

Out of all the things you mention, the one thing you can do today is to get out there and start building that portfolio of yours :-) That's the one thing you can do on your own terms and in your own time, and it'll naturally help you with some of those other items you mentioned.

I find that every time I go out to a cool spot to catch some neat footage, people always have questions, comments, suggestions, and there is always an opportunity to network and be an advocate/liaison between the UAV community and the general public. I learn something new every time I do that!

That's a great idea. I'm not exactly sure on how to build a portfolio when it comes to drones however. Would including places I've flown, total hours, pictures/videos and clients be satisfactory? How would I go about structuring it?

Buy a website domain and hosting and set up a website using WordPress or Squarespace or Wix or something like that. Put your work online AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and start gathering email addresses from prospective customers. Take a look at what other drone service companies are doing to see how you might structure your website / tell your story. 

If you're serious about building a business, you'll embrace the concept of a marketing / sales funnel and start working on filling in the gaps as soon as possible. Your website will ultimately become your best sales rep, so it's best to start working on that soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delta said:

I'm not exactly sure on how to build a portfolio when it comes to drones however. Would including places I've flown, total hours, pictures/videos and clients be satisfactory? How would I go about structuring it?

Alan's spot on about setting up an online portfolio, and there are tons of nearly free ways you can get something like that up and running in 'no time'. I would also suggest that keeping it simple for starters can help maximize your impact/message and also help you (and your audience) to keep from feeling overwhelmed with media, data, etc. A few really good examples are generally better than a whole slew of mediocre ones, and that's a lesson I constantly have to 'keep in my own focus' ;-) I would save those details like flight times, 'previous clients', list of places flown, etc. for your 'About Me' page, and start by featuring some of your best 'finished footage' front-and-center first.

As far as your footage, think of it in terms of the story you can tell. Do you have video/photos of a particular 'favorite spot'? What features of that location might you highlight (or show in a new perspective) by getting that "bird's eye view'? Find a few good 3-10 second (or so...) clips and maybe a few of your most impactful photos in your footage and put them together into a little 15-90 second montage in your favorite video editing software. You can add some cool background music from somewhere like JukeDeck.Com (It's free music you can create yourself and then use in your videos! Whaaaat?!?! Game Changer! ;-) ), and then share it with your friends, family, etc. to see how it 'resonates'. Just like with going out and flying in the right scenarios, this can be a great way to 'network' and get the word out there about your desires to make this your career. You'll be amazed who may end up hearing about it!

On that note, I like to make sure that I ask permission when I fly in 'public places', whether that's to the owner/manager/operator/boss/etc. or simply to anyone close by who seems curious/concerned/intrigued/etc. When doing that, I also offer to share the footage with anyone who wants to give me their contact info and email address (a great way to build your starter 'email list', which will also hopefully turn into your future client list ;-) ). Since I'm not yet flying commercially myself, this is IMO the just about the best possible use of my footage currently. It's truly free advertising.

In the context of an online portfolio, you can always add/change the details and media as you see fit, so there are almost no wrong answers. The important thing is to get some stuff out there so you can start getting feedback, more connections, etc. Being part of this forum is a great start B|

• Like 2

Well guys, I just bought myself a domain name, and will be setting up the website (which should be up and ready in a week?). I think I have some good footage which I can display as a prominent feature, and I'll definitely save those little details such as total flight time, previous clients, who I am, etc for the about page. I have contacted ACUO and was told to give my details of scholastic achievements, what I've been doing with drones etc, so that he may distribute it around the industry! I'm also having a brief phone interview from the marketing manager of Sensefly for him to answer some of my previous questions. Thanks for the wonderful advice! I'll keep everyone posted

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsmq said:

Alan how should i get into the real state Aerial photography ?

Too broad of a question. Be more specific. Provide some background information about who you are and what research you've done so far. The more details you offer, the more we'll be able to help you.

well im new to the game I got my first drone in December 2015 , but I been doing alright I think , I got a page , you can see , im just stuck in trying to get exposure , who should I meet , I also was interested in getting an exemption but a sourse told me not to even get into that because the rule for drones is going to change this December 2016 . you can see my page at www.facebook.com/HAP1984. Thanks for your input Alan,

8 hours ago, jsmq said:

well im new to the game I got my first drone in December 2015 , but I been doing alright I think , I got a page , you can see , im just stuck in trying to get exposure , who should I meet , I also was interested in getting an exemption but a sourse told me not to even get into that because the rule for drones is going to change this December 2016 . you can see my page at www.facebook.com/HAP1984. Thanks for your input Alan,

Let's take a step back for a second, @jsmq. You write that you're trying to get exposure...for what? To start a business? What kind of business goals do you have? Is this a side project? Something you're focusing on 110%? What's your budget? What's your background and network look like...where do you already have experience?

Answering some of those questions will help us get a better idea of who you are and what you're actually looking to do. Getting a 333 exemption makes sense for many, but it's also not a good fit for many. Just depends on your specific situation, which we know nothing about :)

Hey Alan thank you for your  response, im looking to get exposure to Aerial Photography, and im trying to get into the Real state aerial photography . Im new like i said , for me getting the exception is being legit , i want to be a legit pilot , so that was the reason for that,and im looking for experience, one last thing do you think the bachelor in drones is worth it?