Coal Akida

Fly in the Rain with the NEW Mavic Wet Suits

They had no plans on making Wet Suits for the Mavics until we realized that the battery compartment was like a koi pond.      

After just 4 minutes in the pouring rain we had rain inside the battery , so in order to keep up with the Phantom 4 wetsuits they went ahead and sealed up the Mavics so you can fly in the rain.

Edited by Coal Akida

I'll be honest with ya, I bought and installed one for my P4, and while it did its job, the overall fit and finish leaves much to be desired. The adhesive is constantly allowing the neoprene to peel away, and the pieces didn't really fit that well  without some stretching and a little rubber cement to hold in place.

I like the product and its functionality, but I would not purchase another until you've convinced me these issues have been addressed. Not trying to tear down, just giving real world feedback 

We did switch to a stronger 3M adhesive ,  let me know your order name or email and or the date you purchased.

Maybe you can email me at phantomwetsuits@gmail.com

Our phantom 4 pro has just passed over 100 flights in the pouring rain with the Wet Suit. 

But there were times when we had to tack it down again , but we would not use cement just a light spray was needed on the leg covers.

Phantomrain.org

coal   

Edited by Coal Akida
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Coal Akida said:

We did switch to a stronger 3M adhesive ,  let me know your order name or email and or the date you purchased.

Maybe you can email me at phantomwetsuits@gmail.com

Our phantom 4 pro has just passed over 100 flights in the pouring rain with the Wet Suit. 

But there were times when we had to tack it down again , but we would not use cement just a light spray was needed on the leg covers.

Phantomrain.org

coal   

Thanks, sending you a PM 

Well I gotta ask.. what’s the use case for this? Haven’t done a lot of operations in the rain (some inspections and flood response videos) but every single time we ended up with rain on the camera lens and ruining the shots. Every so often the wind or movement would clear the lens.. but for the most part we’d have to land and clean the camera. There would definitely be times I could see this as helpful... so how are y’all ( JBR specifically... love your stuff) getting around this issue. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mark Allen said:

Well I gotta ask.. what’s the use case for this? Haven’t done a lot of operations in the rain (some inspections and flood response videos) but every single time we ended up with rain on the camera lens and ruining the shots. Every so often the wind or movement would clear the lens.. but for the most part we’d have to land and clean the camera. There would definitely be times I could see this as helpful... so how are y’all ( JBR specifically... love your stuff) getting around this issue. Thanks in advance. 

Good question Mark!

For me, the use case was very specific - I needed to drop a survey ribbon near a pin location over 2,000ft away from the launch / control point, and the property was in a rainforest.  I knew going out to Nahiku meant downpours were 99% likely, so the wetsuit seemed a good fit.

It worked great, I sent the P4 to the pin loc 2 times in pouring rain, dropped two 60ft long ribbons with rocks tied to them (using Gannet drone fishing release system), and the property owner found the pin the next day on foot, which required a lot of bushwhacking lol.

Water on the lens was definitely the tough part.  I needed to be able to see below where the ribbon was dropped and take a pic.  I found that keeping the lens angled around 45* down did pretty well.  Also, a little rainX on the lens filter / cover helps too, but you gotta make sure you buff it out enough before you send it, or your photos will be super hazy.

Unfortunately, there were no photos with absolutely zero water spots, but most were surprisingly decent.  

I haven't had too many more rain missions since then, but when I have another, I'll be using this lens hood to help keep the water at bay.

https://www.easydroneparts.com/products/dji-phantom-4-drone-lens-hood?variant=28041359110&currency=USD

Thought I would share this to go with the Use case : 

Just a fantastic testimonial from our client in Ireland,

Where he was it was not raining but than he noticed some drops coming down on him.

1 hour ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

Good question Mark!

For me, the use case was very specific - I needed to drop a survey ribbon near a pin location over 2,000ft away from the launch / control point, and the property was in a rainforest.  I knew going out to Nahiku meant downpours were 99% likely, so the wetsuit seemed a good fit.

It worked great, I sent the P4 to the pin loc 2 times in pouring rain, dropped two 60ft long ribbons with rocks tied to them (using Gannet drone fishing release system), and the property owner found the pin the next day on foot, which required a lot of bushwhacking lol.

Water on the lens was definitely the tough part.  I needed to be able to see below where the ribbon was dropped and take a pic.  I found that keeping the lens angled around 45* down did pretty well.  Also, a little rainX on the lens filter / cover helps too, but you gotta make sure you buff it out enough before you send it, or your photos will be super hazy.

Unfortunately, there were no photos with absolutely zero water spots, but most were surprisingly decent.  

I haven't had too many more rain missions since then, but when I have another, I'll be using this lens hood to help keep the water at bay.

https://www.easydroneparts.com/products/dji-phantom-4-drone-lens-hood?variant=28041359110&currency=USD

As a guy who was in the field as a land surveyor for around 10 years...there were some places I would have loved to have a drone drop flagging on a point!

Thanks for the reply..next time we have a chance of rain impacting our flight, I might try the rain-x. Good idea.

-m 

• Like 1