Philip Moore

What Phantom 4 pilots should do with DJI production halt?

Hey pilots. recently DJI halted production on the Phantom 4 series. DJI has its "reasons" but this is a blow to the drone industry because the Phantom 4 Pro is widely regarded as the best all-around drone on the market. The industry is leaning too much toward to hobbyists with a steady stream of foldable drones while leaving out more serious commercial pilots (we are their customers too!). I believe the community needs to come together to show our dismay with DJI. I think the best action to do is by contacting DJI (https://www.dji.com/contact) with our thoughts. If enough people reach out to them, it could give them a reason to change course. 

On 3/21/2019 at 6:20 PM, Philip Moore said:

The industry is leaning too much toward to hobbyists with a steady stream of foldable drones while leaving out more serious commercial pilots (we are their customers too!). I believe the community needs to come together to show our dismay with DJI.

Ahem...have you forgotten about the DJI Inspire series, the DJI Mavic series, the DJI Wind series? These are high-level drones for commercial use.

Also, the DJI Mavic 2 series is used by professionals as well as hobbyists.

AND the DJI Terra software was just released a few days ago exclusively for the Phantom 4 series.

Edited by Everett

21 hours ago, Everett said:

Ahem...have you forgotten about the DJI Inspire series, the DJI Mavic series, the DJI Wind series? These are high-level drones for commercial use.

Also, the DJI Mavic 2 series is used by professionals as well as hobbyists.

AND the DJI Terra software was just released a few days ago exclusively for the Phantom 4 series.

@Everett the Phantom 4 Pro is objectively praised as the best all-around drone on the market. Many believe that the imagery is still better than the Hasselblad camera on the Mavic Pro 2.

Anywho it doesn't make sense that DJI releases a mapping software that is exclusively only available for a drone that is not in production. In addition, adding a mapping software that does not include your latest product relegates the Mavic Series to only basic photography and videography (minus the Mavic 2 Enterprise).  

Agreed, Philip, but you can't justify a campaign based on the inaccurate and/or unfair impression that they are "leaning too much toward to hobbyists...while...leaving out more serious commercial pilots". The Phantom 4 series is outstanding, we all love it, and I see nothing wrong in expressing a reasonable demand for it to be produced again etc. but I can't find it in me to feel "dismay".

I really don't understand why, if you love the Phantom 4 series so much, you are upset at the way DJI Tierra was released. Can consumers really understand the ins and outs involved in the decision-making process of a hugely successful international company like DJI? If anything, I would hope it's a sign they are not giving up the Phantom series entirely, at least for the enterprise level.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:38 AM, Everett said:

How many people here agree that the The Phanton, and the Mavic are professional drones?

How many people here use, flown or even seen a Wind?

The I2 is a good drone for some broadcast applications but I’d be interesting in hearing if people are using them for any other applications and how much money they’re making.  

On 3/21/2019 at 6:20 PM, Philip Moore said:

Hey pilots. recently DJI halted production on the Phantom 4 series. DJI has its "reasons" but this is a blow to the drone industry because the Phantom 4 Pro is widely regarded as the best all-around drone on the market. The industry is leaning too much toward to hobbyists with a steady stream of foldable drones while leaving out more serious commercial pilots (we are their customers too!). I believe the community needs to come together to show our dismay with DJI. I think the best action to do is by contacting DJI (https://www.dji.com/contact) with our thoughts. If enough people reach out to them, it could give them a reason to change course. 

Hi Philip,

I understand your frustrations with the halt on Phantom 4 Pro production. I own a Phantom 4 Pro Plus Obsidian and it is a great drone. I personally prefer the look and performance of the Phantom compared to a Mavic. The company decided to discontinue the original pro model and the Pro V2 has been out of stock. I do not think that DJI is going to discontinue the Phantom line. I could be wrong but they have a lot invested into the line and the Phantom series made the company what it is today. DJI also just released Terra Mapping software which is only available for the Phantom 4 Pro. There are some other reasons that could explain the current halt in production. Here is an article discussing this topic further https://uavcoach.com/phantom-4-pro-discontinued/

Best, 

Chase Flynn | UAV Coach | Community Support 

• Like 1

@Chase Flynn | UAV Coach I hope you're right! I have done a lot of mapping missions for companies and they only want the P4P. But we shall see, 2019 is gearing up to be an interesting year for the drone industry, it has not been the best but hopefully it will change. 

The P4P has been taken out of production for some specific reasons and those are believed to be that the image sensor is no longer available, DJI have stockpiled enough to keep production of the lower volume RTK version going but here and now it’s believed this is the reason.  

This is the same cause the X4S has been dropped as well. 

As for will there there be a replacement it’s remains to be seen, the dev time needed to produce another camera for this model may not bring enough return now, this was one only camera in this size range with a mechanical shutter so it does leave a gap.

the P4P is not a pro tool in the sense it’s like a Red camera however it’s was very good at what it did, at the end of the day it’s all about using the right tool for the job that gets the desired results regardless of costs.  

Edited by Mad_Angler1
  • Like 1