I know it is awesome to have great features like longer battery life and avoidance ability and speed and presets for  many flying situations, but honestly I care more about the camera and what it  is capable of doing.  

I like to be able to change lenses or even cameras and have faster speeds for slow motion and other professional abilities for the camera. does that make sense?

Absolutely makes sense!  A question I will often ask UAS operators is what problem are you trying to solve?  If your producing videos for YouTube you can’t beat the cost performance of just about any Chinese consumer drone.  

If your deliverable requires high resolution, tac-sharp, well exposed, images from a 40 foot standoff for an enhanced visual inspection then the cameras sold with those drones are not capable.  

Not sure how to share this image but as you can see we’ve captured the entire pole but can zoom into the cotter-pins in the bolts on the connectors with great clarity.  You can see the threads on the bolt, easily read the seriel number and barcode on the transformer and the entire pole is in focus.  We tried this with an I2 and X7 with a 50mm lens and it didn’t come close.

_DSC7196-Pano-126x450.jpg

We shoot mostly with the Sony a6500 24MP m4/3 with a 135mm lens and a7RIII 43MP full frame with a 70-240mm lens.  

On 3/23/2019 at 3:30 PM, Larado said:

I know it is awesome to have great features like longer battery life and avoidance ability and speed and presets for  many flying situations, but honestly I care more about the camera

The way I see it, you can get drones with very good embedded cameras (so you are left to compare specs such as obstacle sensing & avoidance) and you can get drones that allow you to swap cameras or camera lenses (but then the key factor is the fact that you can rely on the technology behind the drone and feel free to focus on customizing the optical modules).

Features may not be what drives you, but they may narrow down the path you walk when choosing the drones (and the price difference is not insignificant).