Romulas

Possible Attempt to Crash a Plane in England

From Fabulas LAS VEGAS NEVADA!!! :

Today During my Morning Coffee, CNN Reported a Possible Small Drone was used to attempt to Down an Airliner. This has caused Quite a Ruckuss in England. The owner of that Possible account should have known that no small Drone craft near any airport, which leads me to believe it was just a kid trying to get video of other aircraft outherwise it was a terrorrist and they failed .In either of the possibility's the Owner MUST COME Forward to Face the Music in order to prevent any confusion about the situation. If any evedence is found by MI-6 These Boy's Don't Monkey around these days and I don't want to have to have a Liscence for a toy,I can't afford my Hobby as it stands NOW!!

This Negative use of a Toy has Possibly started an ALL OUT Ban or Registration of all small Drones, Look at what the Crown did with Gun ownership in th UK for exhample . The owner needs to come forward and appologise for this Accedent so the Entire world of Drone Sport is not punnished for this one persons mistake  

Romulas

It would help if you share a link so we know what you are referring to?

If it's the British Airways incident, as far as I know there has not been confirmation it was a drone. 

" After landing, the pilot reported an object - believed to be a drone - had struck the front of the Airbus A320. "

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36067591

• Like 1

I don't wish to start an argument but every headline I read stated it was a drone collision but once inside the story, it sort of fell apart. The only thing I found are misleading headlines but once you get into the history it turns to nothing:

"The United Kingdom's Air Accidents Investigations Branch will investigate the Sunday incident to confirm the pilot's report of a drone collision, but the  Airbus A320  landed safely and was cleared for another flight after an inspection."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2016/04/18/british-air-drone-collision-highlights-need-for-rules/83183048/

As a holder of a commercial pilot's license, I still defy any airline pilot to tell me he can spot a drone on final approach at 200 knots whiz-bang, just like that (as opposed to a pigeon, a wadded up newspaper or a kid's balloon). A helicopter, low and slow, That I can see.

IMHO pilots are most anxious to blame drones to spur aviation authorities to ground them. 

Having said that, anyone caught interfering with a manned aircraft via a drone should be jailed...

Edited by Uaviator53
  • Like 1

Just how much of a threat does a UAV pose to plane like the Airbus A320? Or indeed to even a much smaller aircraft?  I assume bird strikes are fairly common.  Would a collision with Phantom 3 be any worse? I know a worst case would be a problem, but let's be frank, how much of a threat is there?

On 4/21/2016 at 5:30 PM, Silk Purse said:

Just how much of a threat does a UAV pose to plane like the Airbus A320? Or indeed to even a much smaller aircraft?  I assume bird strikes are fairly common.  Would a collision with Phantom 3 be any worse? I know a worst case would be a problem, but let's be frank, how much of a threat is there?

It all depends on where they hit and what speed the aircraft is flying. My particular aircraft has a maximum speed of 340 Kts below about 32,000' (officially it is 340 Kts until M.85 and increases to M.88, so it depends on some variables). Do we fly that speed down low? No because it burns a bunch of gas. Most places in the world are 250 Kts below 10,000', including the US. The US is one of the few places where ATC cannot waiver this speed, but if we're 12 miles off the coast in international waters, we absolutely could be going up to 320-330 Kts. I fly overseas, so they can and do waiver the speed limits and I've been doing 320 Kts at about 3,000'. Our manufacturer has tested the airplane for those speeds with birds, and that is why they say we can go those speeds. Is it a crap shoot, absolutely. The highest bird hit was I believe around 33,000'. The crew and plane survived but it was a mess and the crew were lucky to survive.

Typically below about 3,000', we are slowing and configuring the airplane for landing (flaps and gear both have specific speeds you must be slower than before reaching). So, most jet aircraft are around 220-250 Kts to start "getting dirty". This will typically be around 2000', and when on approach, we usually have speeds of 130-150 Kts. 

Having said all of that, a bird is not metal and plastic, and weighing up to 55 Lbs. I believe they shoot chickens at the aircraft for testing purposes, but, let's say you run into a flock of Canadian Geese; well you may end up in the Hudson river due to no fault of your own. I still have not heard of any UAS hitting a manned vehicle, but if it hits the cockpit at high speed, or an engine at any speed, it could be disastrous. 

One last note, for those who don't know Kts (Knots), multiply by 1.15 to get MPH. Metric people convert MPH to KPH. I'm American and don't know the conversion off the top of my head. :-)

Oh yeah, the next answer is I fly a Gulfstream 450 based in Moscow. Cheers!

Edited by Txpilot
  • Like 1

1.6 km = 1 mile (us)

So multiply the speed in MPH by 1.6 and should have the equivalent speed measured in KPH.

if you would like to do a direct conversion from knots to KPH it should essentially be *1.15 *1.6 or more condensed:

# knots * 1.84 = KPH

Also just read the section on chicken testing... very interesting visual, hope PETA is cool with that.

Edited by RemotelyPossible
  • Like 2