Harrison Knoll

DJI Terra - Real-Time Orthomosaic

DJI released the new Terra software for real-time photogrammetry and flight planning.  Has anyone had an opportunity to evaluate the accuracy of the maps produced from the software?  Without ground control points, how accurate can this new real-time software be?  Is there any other real-time photogrammetric softwares out there that are competing?  Super excited about this new piece of tech for the construction monitoring area!  Let me know what you think

https://www.dji.com/dji-terra

I downloaded Terra and found it to be a rudimentary version of GroundStation Pro (for flying), plus an Ortho and Obj post-processing engine (drone deploy, pix4d), PrecisionMapper, dronemapper)....

DJI Terra seems to be a Windows versions of capabilities already found on IOS and Android (capture) and the cloud mostly for free (PrecisionMapper, DroneMapper-Rapid)

Reading the manual, in DJI Terra your Remote Controller is connected to your laptop...not very convenient!!!

I asked for a price but have not received one yet....All aspects of DJI Terra are available for no cost, flying and post-processing....so I doubt our hanger will bite.

Interesting that Terra currently only works with DJI Phantom 4 models, which have been discontinued...right?

Wondering all these things too. I would like Terra for the Mavic series. Why wouldn't it be available for Mavic vs others? 

Would love to know more about other automated tools for 3D mapping/modeling of construction sites. It would be perfect if I can launch one Mavic 2 Pro and automatically generate a 3D model for CAD or printing. 

Edited by brandonfire

15 hours ago, inetcarp said:

Interesting that Terra currently only works with DJI Phantom 4 models, which have been discontinued...right?

The epitome of irony!

4 hours ago, brandonfire said:

Would love to know more about other automated tools for 3D mapping/modeling of construction sites. It would be perfect if I can launch one Mavic 2 Pro and automatically generate a 3D model for CAD or printing. 

My comment has more to do with what’s the purpose of this thread?  Since few people have seen or used this software most of the comments are highly speculative or what some are hoping to see.

Instead of talking about those vagaries we could discuss the realities of what it takes to not only produce 3D meshes for CAD or blueprints, producing accurate maps and how those two things are vastly different, but what are the requirements for providing this professionally? 

I’m curious, do people seriously think you can provide engineers with models they would be willing to risk their careers on with a Mavic?  Do you think you can “automatically” generate a 3D model for CAD?  

What kind of accuracy do you think is required for an engineering grade model?  How are people accomplishing that today?  Is it everyone’s hope that you can accomplish that with an application developed by a consumer drone manufacturer?  Does anyone think for the level of accuracy required that people doing this today are using instruments that are significantly better than the 20MP cheap consumer cameras you find on most drones?

I realize this sounds pessimistic, but just because DJI announces that they have been able to do the physics better than companies who have been doing this for decades doesn’t mean we should believe them.  Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t, but it would probably be better if we discussed what problem are we trying to solve, what the requirements for solving it might be so we have a baseline to compare the results when we do have the opportunity to test DJI product offering.  

On 3/30/2019 at 2:34 PM, inetcarp said:

15 hours ago, Philip Moore said:

The epitome of irony!

DJI is infamous for compartmentalization of projects.  There is a good chance that no one told the team that the P4P had been discontinued while they were designing a platform for it.  In true DJI fashion, there will be a Terra 2.0 that hopefully will use a craft still in production ! 🙄

14 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

My comment has more to do with what’s the purpose of this thread?  Since few people have seen or used this software most of the comments are highly speculative or what some are hoping to see.

Instead of talking about those vagaries we could discuss the realities of what it takes to not only produce 3D meshes for CAD or blueprints, producing accurate maps and how those two things are vastly different, but what are the requirements for providing this professionally? 

I’m curious, do people seriously think you can provide engineers with models they would be willing to risk their careers on with a Mavic?  Do you think you can “automatically” generate a 3D model for CAD?  

What kind of accuracy do you think is required for an engineering grade model?  How are people accomplishing that today?  Is it everyone’s hope that you can accomplish that with an application developed by a consumer drone manufacturer?  Does anyone think for the level of accuracy required that people doing this today are using instruments that are significantly better than the 20MP cheap consumer cameras you find on most drones?

I realize this sounds pessimistic, but just because DJI announces that they have been able to do the physics better than companies who have been doing this for decades doesn’t mean we should believe them.  Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t, but it would probably be better if we discussed what problem are we trying to solve, what the requirements for solving it might be so we have a baseline to compare the results when we do have the opportunity to test DJI product offering.  

Awesome, thanks. I never assumed this type of modeling was either a) accurate or b) the next best thing since sliced bread, so please kindly take it easy in your response, but I appreciate the critical thinking. 

We don't plan on using this for engineering blueprints, etc. That would be ridiculous for any construction company to rely on this inaccurate data. All we want to do is this:

1. Possibly print accurate-looking 3D models of some construction projects (for decoration and to show clients)

2. Use this as a reference point for discussions about the project, etc

What I meant by "automatically" generate these models is this. From my understanding, it's possible to choose an object to scan, and then the DJI or other software can automatically choose the "best" flight path to scan the object in its entirety. I'm happy to fly it around myself, but if the software can choose the flight path, then that would be a time saver and probably turn out better in the end.

Thanks for your help. 

Awesome, thanks. I never assumed this type of modeling was either a) accurate or b) the next best thing since sliced bread, so please kindly take it easy in your response, but I appreciate the critical thinking. 

That was the point of my comment.  Yes these models can be accurate, as accurate as using LiDAR and photogrammetry on the ground and adding the ability to collect the same high quality data from the air adds a whole other level of efficiency.  But it doesn't do you any good to scale if you can't do it accurately enough.  

We don't plan on using this for engineering blueprints, etc. That would be ridiculous for any construction company to rely on this inaccurate data.

I wouldn't characterize it as being the next thing since sliced bread but construction companies, utilities and the military are using these models for engineering and the need is growing much faster than the market for drones that do YouTube videos. 

From my understanding, it's possible to choose an object to scan, and then the DJI or other software can automatically choose the "best" flight path to scan the object in its entirety.

This is apparently what DJI wants people to believe, how 2010.  Our best customers are those that believe the "best" you can do is autonomously fly a NADIR flight path with X-percent overlap.  This industry has progressed so far beyond that capability and if you believe what DJI is trying to market and use it the way you suggested I think you'll find yourself disadvantaged.   

Also, please don't take or make what I say personal.  When ever anyone (OK maybe its just me) wants to have a serious discussion about whats actually possible rather than what DJI is trying to market DJI owners view that as negative.  Anyone serious about being a commercial operator should celebrate that this application of aerial sensing has matured so far beyond DJI's capabilities that its now possible to make this a serious career.     

1 minute ago, Av8Chuck said:

That was the point of my comment.  Yes these models can be accurate, as accurate as using LiDAR and photogrammetry on the ground and adding the ability to collect the same high quality data from the air adds a whole other level of efficiency.  But it doesn't do you any good to scale if you can't do it accurately enough.  

I wouldn't characterize it as being the next thing since sliced bread but construction companies, utilities and the military are using these models for engineering and the need is growing much faster than the market for drones that do YouTube videos. 

This is apparently what DJI wants people to believe, how 2010.  Our best customers are those that believe the "best" you can do is autonomously fly a NADIR flight path with X-percent overlap.  This industry has progressed so far beyond that capability and if you believe what DJI is trying to market and use it the way you suggested I think you'll find yourself disadvantaged.   

Also, please don't take or make what I say personal.  When ever anyone (OK maybe its just me) wants to have a serious discussion about whats actually possible rather than what DJI is trying to market DJI owners view that as negative.  Anyone serious about being a commercial operator should celebrate that this application of aerial sensing has matured so far beyond DJI's capabilities that its now possible to make this a serious career.     

So what's the fastest/best way to get started 3D modeling using a DJI Mavic 2 Pro? Preferably with the lowest price point possible to get reasonable OBJ files for import into AutoCAD (simply for reviewing/discussing construction sites and/or progress) and for 3D printing? 

4 minutes ago, brandonfire said:

So what's the fastest/best way to get started 3D modeling using a DJI Mavic 2 Pro?

If all you hope to accomplish is:

5 hours ago, brandonfire said:

1. Possibly print accurate-looking 3D models of some construction projects (for decoration and to show clients)

2. Use this as a reference point for discussions about the project, etc

Just use DroneDeploy.  But as you correctly pointed out that will probably yield a model that is just "pretty" and not accurate and once you've completed that project you'll likely see the intrinsic value and start down the never ending path with DJI of trying to get the level of quality models you can actually use.

Common sense should tell you that you will never get there with a  Mavic2Pro  or any other DJI product.  But its an inexpensive education and for that reason alone not a bad place to start.