Sign in to follow this  
bjpatel

bj

Hello,

I got the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom - and I notice the battery only lasts 30 minutes. 

It starts a loud beeping when there is less than 6 or 7 minutes of battery left. 

So, what happens if the drone is still in the air and the battery runs out?  Does it fall to the ground?

I ask because I want to get sky line shots of the city, and I feel I don't have enough time to get the drone up that high, and get the shots I need and then have enough time to bring it back down.

Is this a concern?  Or maybe I need to buy a longer lasting battery?

Thanks

BJ

A couple of observations from your question.  

Im guessing your new to drone flying.  30 minutes of flight is a considerable amount of time for a multirotor, certainly enough to climb to the maximum altitude, 400 feet, allowable in the US.  If your outside the US and don’t have an altitude restriction then you can still accomplish what you want but it takes practice.  

Everything that goes up must come down.  So yes, when the battery is depleted it crashes.  

Please let everyone know where to buy that longer lasting battery.  I’m sure others would want to purchase them.

On 3/29/2019 at 1:03 PM, bjpatel said:

I got the DJI Mavic 2 Zoom [...]

So, what happens if the drone is still in the air and the battery runs out?  Does it fall to the ground?

From DJI (emphasis mine):

Low Battery RTH:

As its name suggests, this RTH is triggered when the Intelligent Flight Battery is depleted to the point that it may affect the return of the aircraft. When this happens, a prompt will appear on your screen in the DJI GO/4 app, and the drone will automatically begin to ascend to the set RTH height and return if no action is taken after a 10-second countdown. If the battery power is critically low, then the drone will automatically land itself, and this can’t be canceled by the pilot. This type of RTH is one that is best avoided, just like pilots of airplanes never want to be in a situation where their fuel light starts blinking.

Some settings that you may want to have on to improve RTH:

• Enable Vision Positioning
  • Landing protection
  • Precision landing
  • RTH Obstacle Check
Edited by Everett