Alan Perlman

Becoming a Pro Drone Pilot // Real Estate Work

Hi all, I just got this email from one of our https://dronepilotgroundschool.com students:

Hey Alan, I just have two drones the mavic Pro and the inspire 1. I don’t have any regular cameras. Do you think it is still worth it to try to get into real estate? Thanks!

Here was my response back to him, and curious how other pilots in this forum choose to weigh in.

---

Hi there, both great models!

"Worth it" is highly dependant on you and your goals as a 'dronepreneur' :)

Some quick thoughts:

• How will you ever know without trying?
  • Both models are perfectly suitable tools for taking high-quality aerial photos / video. I know pros who still use the Phantom 3, which isn't as strong of a camera or sensor set as your two options right now.
  • The magic isn't in the camera itself, but the post-production...see the latest videos in this thread and feel free to scroll back a few pages to see earlier additions. Some great professional real estate marketers sharing their videos!
  • It's a very consultative sales process — you're going to have to hustle and grind and keep building out your list of target clients and proactively reaching out to them to better understand what kind of service delivery (pricing, packaging, turnaround time, etc.) you feel comfortable with.
  • It's a young industry. There's a TON of opportunity out there, but it's not easy money by any means. Building any kind of service-based business is really tough.

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

In our area most of the professional real estate photographers have added a drone to their toolbox. The aerial photography is just a piece of the overall marketing puzzle. You’ll likely need to have additional cameras to get hired to shoot real estate, but if you can shoot and edit excellent aerial footage you can probably learn the traditional photographic skills.

• Like 3

I have been able to "team up" with many local land-based real estate photographers that do the ground level and interior photos and video.  I works out quite well because they have the proper equipment for that portion of the real estate marketing and rely upon me for all the aerial work. A win-win for each of us!

Jay Burnham
http://www.northshoredroneservices.com

• Like 1

Hi, After Drone Pilot Ground School graduation & certification, I started a year ago with just my Mavic Pro and encouragement from a realtor friend. I enjoy photography so much that I quickly added interior stills and video to my business, but the aerials are what bring the clients. Fortunately for me, I’m older and retired and don’t have to support myself with this work. So I bought a Phantom 4 Pro last June and now have a Mavic 2 Pro for backup and for travel. I love the creative part of this work (post production!) and have gotten my clients all by word of mouth. It only takes a few, so create a portfolio and go for it!

Marykayulsamer.com

• Like 2

Hi @MaryKay, welcome to the forum.  

You might want to check out this thread and share your work here:  

This has been a good thread for showing your work and gathering suggestions on how to improve.  Discussing various techniques and equipment is the easy part of any profession.  It’s good to have a resource/place to discuss those issues but it’s also important that the discussion include how to manage a business profitably. 

12 minutes ago, MaryKay said:

Fortunately for me, I’m older and retired and don’t have to support myself with this work.

Do you think if you weren’t retired and had to support yourself, you could make a career out of this?  

You do nice work.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MaryKay said:

I know that starting out I would not be able to support myself.

Everyone has to start somewhere, my point is for those willing to share their business experiences, not just the technical ones, there’s an opportunity for others to learn what works and what doesn’t so maybe they won’t  make the same mistakes.  

What did you do before retiring?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaryKay said:

Hi, After Drone Pilot Ground School graduation & certification, I started a year ago with just my Mavic Pro and encouragement from a realtor friend. I enjoy photography so much that I quickly added interior stills and video to my business, but the aerials are what bring the clients. Fortunately for me, I’m older and retired and don’t have to support myself with this work. So I bought a Phantom 4 Pro last June and now have a Mavic 2 Pro for backup and for travel. I love the creative part of this work (post production!) and have gotten my clients all by word of mouth. It only takes a few, so create a portfolio and go for it!

Marykayulsamer.com

I'll second what Chuck said - your work is extremely impressive.  I'd also be grateful to see you participate with us in the thread Chuck posted since I'm a frequent poster myself.  I've learned a lot and hopefully passed on a few tidbits of my own.  

• Like 2

Another thing that I’ve enjoyed about sharing work in this thread is to see how everyone has progressed.  When I started that thread @JBR LIFE Photography Was kind enough to compliment some of my work, I occasionally get the opportunity to shoot for friends, (I don’t produce real estate media for a living) which is a very different thing than those that do this under the constraints of making a living.  

When we all get to witness the improvement of @JBR LIFE Photography, who is doing this for a living in a competitive market we can all take a little pride in his work (because I tought him everything he knows...) it really is community we can all share in.  

There have been a lot of great contributions to the property videos thread.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 7:02 AM, Av8Chuck said:

Another thing that I’ve enjoyed about sharing work in this thread is to see how everyone has progressed.  When I started that thread @JBR LIFE Photography Was kind enough to compliment some of my work, I occasionally get the opportunity to shoot for friends, (I don’t produce real estate media for a living) which is a very different thing than those that do this under the constraints of making a living.  

When we all get to witness the improvement of @JBR LIFE Photography, who is doing this for a living in a competitive market we can all take a little pride in his work (because I tought him everything he knows...) it really is community we can all share in.  

There have been a lot of great contributions to the property videos thread.

Haha, yup.  Everything Chuck just said here.  :)