Sign in to follow this  
Joe Weber

Letter of intent to the general public

I have volunteered to fly my drone for the local county tourism office. The tourism office is interested in creating a video to announce a new pedestrian and biking pathway soon to be developed. The tourism office would like for me to fly and video tape the proposed pathway for future use.  I suggested to the office that we may need to communicate to the general public that on certain days there will be drone flying in this general area. The office is also interested in printing a flyer , to be handed out, informing the local residents and address any concerns prior to flying.   Can anyone help or suggest what steps we can take reduce any problems with the general public.  This area is  low populated , towns of less that 10,000 and very rural.

• Like 1

Hi @Joe Weber, what are you planning to fly?  

Its probably too late for this recommendation, but assuming there is no issue with airspace or any other reasons you might need a clearance, if this is rural and lightly traveled I’d recommend that you don’t post or send out a flyer regarding doing aerial of the bike path.  Coordinate with local law enforcement and get as many observers as you need to warn the operator of traffic and pedestrians, so that you don’t over fly them and just do it.  If you plan to fly it in manageable distances you shouldn’t even have to stop traffic - depending on traffic.  

You should be done before anyone is even aware that you did it and you can explain to anyone who views the completed project how you accomplished it if interested. If you post fliers to “address” concerns your making this much more difficult than need be and it’s not required.    

Where’s is the town located?

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick reply. The area is Grant County ,Ky.  There are no flight restrictions and I should be flying high enough as to not concern most people. 

I understand that sometimes giving notice tends to add to the problem, but the local administrators feel it is important to get the word out and want to be proactive with this project. The project is still working to develop good relationships with land owners and hoping to get financial support from all of the community.

We are the Professional Drone/UAV training academy in India. We  needs placement assistance for our our students. If any organization  interested to  placement partner.please mail to me.

Regards,

aviationtwt@gmail.com

In rural areas if I'm doing ops for a subject property that require me to hover or do back and forth maneuvering over adjacent occupied properties to get desired angles of my subject, I just go up to those properties before the operation, knock on the door, and nicely explain what I'm doing. I couch it in terms of being a courtesy to let them know rather than asking for their permission. I imagine my specific set of statements matter. The key points I make are that I'm a professional photographer and FAA certified drone operator who has been hired to shoot video or stills of xyz property and I just want to let them know what I'll be doing, to assure them that I'll be following all applicable laws, and to assure them that I will not be spying on them or taking any imagery that would violate their privacy. "Just wanted to let you know so you don't have to worry". If they seem concerned I offer to answer any questions and to give them my card. This approach has NEVER failed to work out ok. But if I'm just "flying through" over someone else's property for a shoot, especially up above 150 or 200', then I just do it, and I remain ready to explain to anyone who asks that I'm passing over too many properties to talk with everyone involved, and that I'm basically operating like any other small aircraft. Again...while some people are initially concerned, if I am friendly, open, and professional, it has worked out ok. If its a big enough project with real local interest then you might have the local paper do a little story about it. But keep it on the "this is happening and it is being done in conformance with all applicable laws" rather than asking for public input or permission. Hope that helps, and just my 2c.

• Like 1