Gryphon962

Retired Mil Heli Pilot Interested in Drone Business

Hi, I flew CH47 Chinook with the RAF for many years and retired from that nearly 20 years ago. I have an FAA ATP license for helicopters. After spending that time doing something else (but playing a lot of flight sims for pleasure) I'm very interested in getting into drone flying, to include looking at part-time business opportunities. 

I plan to do the pilot and ground exam course and pick up something like an Inspire or similar. Its kind of annoying to need another cert from the FAA when I have an ATP, but I guess it wont be hard.

Hi @Gryphon962

Welcome to the forum. Your prior aviation background will probably make passing the FAA's remote pilot test a breeze. There's still plenty to learn about commercial drone operations under the Part 107 rules, so it's worthwhile to familiarize yourself with them and get certified. 

The FAA does make an exception for pilots who already hold a manned pilot certificate issued under 14 CFR Part 61 and have completed a flight review within the previous 24 months. In that case, you wouldn't need to test, but complete a free course instead. 

Anyway, the Inspire is a good choice for many commercial applications. 

Hope you find the forum helpful as you work toward your certificate and business ventures. 

• Like 1

Isabellw is spot on with her advice.  My guess is that you will be able to study up on Part 107 in 2-3 days of study.  I just passed yesterday and invested 20 hours but I don't have your mil and pilot experience.  I took this course (below) and found I could listen to all the lectures at 1.25 speed.  it is a super course that you could do in two full days and pass the the Part 107.  it cost like $11!

good luck!

https://www.udemy.com/share/1007GMB0oTd1tTTHQ=/