Just getting my feet wet with controlled airspace but still confused with Class E. Do I need authorization to fly Class E Airspace?

Thanks.

Oscar

On 5/1/2019 at 6:21 PM, Hawkman said:

Just getting my feet wet with controlled airspace but still confused with Class E. Do I need authorization to fly Class E Airspace?

Thanks.

Oscar

You need authorization in Class E(2) Airspace.

§107.41   Operation in certain airspace.

No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).

The types of Class E are:

E1 – Class E Airspace at and above 14,500 feet MSL
E2 – Class E airspace areas designated as a surface area for an airport.
E3 – Class E Airspace Areas Designated As An Extension To A Class C Surface Area
E4 – Class E Airspace Areas Designated as an Extension to a Class D or Class E Surface Area
E5 – Class E Airspace Areas Extending Upward From 700 Feet Or More Above The Surface of The Earth
E6 – En route Domestic Airspace Areas
E7 – Offshore Airspace Areas
E8 – Class E Airspace Areas Designated As Federal Airways

Edited by Dave Pitman

Hint:  Your best chance to get authorization in a Class E Surface Area is some sort of masking.  IE. " I want to fly at 50 feet in a zero foot box on the UASFM.  There is a  75 foot tall building between my area of operations and the airport".