Gofster

Think drones will get too automated for pilots?

Hey there everyone, 

I was just sitting here thinking, at what point do you think that drones will become so point-and-click that they won't require specialized flying knowledge to operate them? Fortunately, I think it's still awhile off since each flying situation is different, and so many variables, I don't think a cookie cutter solution is coming anytime soon. But between GPS and navigation systems getting more advanced, I think that some uses may be more point and click sooner than others.

What do you think?

I think this same thing has been said for years about us full sized aircraft pilots. There is a lot more that goes into this, especially in heavily populated or multiple airport areas. Will we be able to just let the "autopilot" fly, yes. Will we still be required. Yes.

Just my newbie opinion, and your mileage may vary!

This question (sort of) came up at the UAS Symposium I attended a couple of weeks ago.

"Flying an advanced multirotor hardly takes any skill.”

One of the FAA panelists disagreed entirely. When you’re flying a more automated aircraft, he said, all that’s happening is that your role changes from that of an active stick-and-rudder operator to a monitor of automation, which can arguably be a more taxing skill that requires more training.

This is true for UAS and for manned aircraft. The flight operations don't get any easier...they just change.

• Like 2

I agree @Txpilot and @Alan Perlman.  You get the same thing with people that get Photoshop, then assume they're an artist. Sure there are a lot of automated features that can make tasks easier, but having the underlying skill as to when and how to use those features in the correct way, can make all the difference in the final product. 

• Like 1