Where to Fly a Drone in San Diego

It's often challenging to find a legal, safe, and visually interesting location to fly your drone, especially in a densely populated area with one or more airports.

After a round of comprehensive research, our team compiled a list of where to fly a drone in San Diego . We also have this list of drone laws in California that might be helpful.

Where do you like to fly your drone in San Diego? We welcome your comments/experiences below.

• 1 month later...

I like to fly at the northern end of Fiesta Island in Mission Bay. Most of the island is in the Lindbergh Field restricted area, but the northern 1/2 mile is unrestricted. It includes sections of Mission Bay near Bayfront Park, shoreline on 3 sides of the island, and wild sandy areas in the interior of the island. 

Fiesta Island.JPG

• 11 months later...

Hi! Thank you for this post. I am a new drone operator (magic mini) and trying to learn all I can about the laws in my area. Today I was flying over the water in Solana beach and was told by the life guard it wasn’t allowed. However, I didn’t see that listed on the state website and all my precheck apps gave me a green light to fly. Are there any beaches that you can legally fly over in San Diego? My specific interest is capturing waves and surfers so I don’t  plan to fly over crowds. Thanks ahead of time for any help you can provide!❤️

• 3 months later...