Recommended Posts

It's often challenging to find a legal, safe, and visually interesting location to fly your drone, especially in a densely populated area with one or more airports.

After a round of comprehensive research, our team compiled a list of where to fly a drone in Denver . We also have this list of drone laws in Colorado that might be helpful.

Where do you like to fly your drone in Denver? We welcome your comments/experiences below.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/16/2019 at 11:33 AM, CoconuttMonkey said:

FYI number one on that it’s (William F park aka Green Mountain) is an open space and therefore it is illegal to fly drones there. Best bet is to hit the mountains, they aren’t that far from Denver. 

Hi @CoconuttMonkey,

We were unable to locate any drone regulations for this location, if you could link to any published regulations that would be really helpful.

Thanks!

 - Chase 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 9:59 AM, Bill Fearheller said:

I find it interesting that your "places to fly in Denver" were not in Denver.

Bill Fearheller

Hi @Bill Fearheller,

Due to local regulations and the airspace, we cannot always include locations right in the downtown area. We try to keep all of the locations on our 'Where to Fly' guides within an hour of the downtown area. 

Best, 

Chase 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please remove Aurora Reservoir from this listing.  Flying of drones and other remote controlled aircraft is prohibited per City of Aurora Parks, Open Space, and Recreation Rules and Regulation:

 6543. Remote Controlled Devices

Remote or radio controlled devices of all types are prohibited on any park facility, except in designated areas or unless authorized by the Director of Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department.

 Park Rules and Regulations are enforced under City of Aurora Code:

Sec. 126-67. - Authority to establish and enforce.  Pursuant to article V of chapter 2 of this Code, the director of parks and open space, upon approval of the city manager, shall have authority to establish and amend the rules and regulations for parks and open space. The director of water, upon approval from the city manager, shall have authority to establish and amend the rules and regulations for water department property. The director of parks and open space shall have the authority to enforce all rules and regulations for parks, water department property used for recreational purposes and open space.

(Code 1979, § 29-102; Ord. No. 95-53, exhibit A (§ 29-102), 9-11-95; Ord. No. 2005-74, § 1, 10-10-2005)

 More information can be obtained at the following web address:

https://www.auroragov.org/parks - click on the green button labeled: Park Rules and Regulations.  This will open up a PDF file listing all the rules and regulations for the City of Aurora, CO. 

 We thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.  

 Mike Bonham

Park Ranger Supervisor

303-326-8430 (Rangers)

 

                                                                        

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, there you go.  You pretty much can’t fly in Colorado.  

21 hours ago, Aurora, CO Parks said:

Code 1979, § 29-102; Ord. No. 95-53, exhibit A (§ 29-102), 9-11-95; Ord. No. 2005-74, § 1, 10-10-2005)

Funny thing is I looked all over the FAA’s website and didn’t find a single mention of these regulations!  All this time we’ve been told that the FAA has the sole authority of regulating airspace.  

6542. Aircraft
It is unlawful to land or launch any aircraft, engine powered, glider, or balloon, on any park facility, unless authorized by the Director of Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department.

6543. Remote Controlled Devices
Remote or radio controlled devices of all types are prohibited on any park facility, except in designated areas or unless authorized by the Director of Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department.

Huh, apparently it’s legal To fly over.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/video/technical-rescue-team-uses-drones-to-assist-with-colorado-hiker-rescue-efforts/vp-BBVHfCp

Can you spell hypocrisy?  Seems there are plenty of other Colorado State officials who want to leverage the benefits of using UAS.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

To Whomever,

What would be the response to a drone flying over the park?  How about 100 drones?  I can launch from dozens of places without being in the park.  Anyone out there that wants to organize a flyover?  It would have to be done within the laws we all know and respect.

Sooner or later we will have to start organizing into a group large enough to get the politicians respect.

bf 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 11:50 AM, Aurora, CO Parks said:

Remote or radio controlled devices of all types are prohibited on any park facility,

This is not in Colorado but it certainly should get everyone’s attention.  Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Judge rules drones can take off and land in city parks.

https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/2020/02/drones-can-take-flight-from-public-parks-flint-area-judge-rules.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

This is not in Colorado but it certainly should get everyone’s attention.  Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Judge rules drones can take off and land in city parks.

https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/2020/02/drones-can-take-flight-from-public-parks-flint-area-judge-rules.html

Av8Chuck,

I find this ruling interesting.  I think that the responses we are getting from politicians are caused by a need for the politicians to respond to voters that have complained about someone flying a drone in perceived danger to kids, animals, or in general other park users.  I know I make an effort to keep far from kids because of their attraction to drones, and I don't want to have them around unsupervised because they get in my way.  I still think it will take an organisation that sues governments and wins to stop the harassment of pilots.

I have penned a response to the FAA on the i.d. rule they purpose, and I would like to get it to you and others to get input about it.  Could I post it here and have you read it.  I am not skilled at writing, but I feel strongly that the FAA is trying to ban us and shift the costs for that banning to us.  I am totally opposed to the use of the internet for any part of the i.d. rule, and I am more opposed to private companies acting as middlemen.

Let me know if that would be appropriate to use this forum to air my thoughts and receive comments.  If so, do I just "drag my file" to attach it, or would it be better to write my response out and post it here for comments?

Thank you,

Bill Fearheller

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/28/2020 at 2:20 PM, Chase Flynn | UAV Coach said:

Hi @CoconuttMonkey,

We were unable to locate any drone regulations for this location, if you could link to any published regulations that would be really helpful.

Thanks!

 - Chase 

Did some digging this morning and found this.

https://www.lakewood.org/Government/Departments/Community-Resources/Rules-and-Regulations-of-Community-Resources#section-7

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 1/30/2020 at 10:31 AM, Av8Chuck said:

Well, there you go.  You pretty much can’t fly in Colorado.  

Funny thing is I looked all over the FAA’s website and didn’t find a single mention of these regulations!  All this time we’ve been told that the FAA has the sole authority of regulating airspace.  

6542. Aircraft
It is unlawful to land or launch any aircraft, engine powered, glider, or balloon, on any park facility, unless authorized by the Director of Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department.

6543. Remote Controlled Devices
Remote or radio controlled devices of all types are prohibited on any park facility, except in designated areas or unless authorized by the Director of Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department.

Huh, apparently it’s legal To fly over.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/video/technical-rescue-team-uses-drones-to-assist-with-colorado-hiker-rescue-efforts/vp-BBVHfCp

Can you spell hypocrisy?  Seems there are plenty of other Colorado State officials who want to leverage the benefits of using UAS.  

Correct all air space is regulated by FAA only. Take off and landing can be controlled by local organizations. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

To all respondents to this topic,

At some time, responsible pilots of drones need to join together and form a group that takes these local governments to task on their illegal efforts to control the air space usurping the authority that is given only to the FAA.

I don't know how that would be accomplished, but I envision that it would be like a class action lawsuit.  I am for safety, as I know responsible pilots are, but like all governments local, national and world organizations, IF you give them an inch, they will keep taking until they have the whole mile...

Be well and stay safe,

Bill Fearheller

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

Pretty much the Denver area sucks:

Aurora bans in all it's parks.

Denver bans in all their parks.

State of Colorado bans in all state parks - except the 2 designated paid airfields listed, which you have to pay the state park fee to enter the park and pay the airfield clubs for membership. Not sure how far you can even fly as the state bans flying in the rest of the park that surrounds each airfield.

Highlands Ranch Metro District bans in all it's parks and open space.

On and on and on!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 1/26/2020 at 7:59 AM, Bill Fearheller said:

I find it interesting that your "places to fly in Denver" were not in Denver.

Bill Fearheller

You can fly in Denver and there is a lot of G airspace. You just can not operate from within the City parks as stated by the state and city guidelines. You can fly over any of them as those airspaces once you take off are controlled by the FAA only not the city or state. The Park information is misleading to scare people it seems as it states you can not operate a drone in the parks. That means the operator can not be standing in the park it is that simple So have fun and fly the Denver area. If not a class G just got to LAANC system and get permission. Stay safe and follow all FAA rules. Happy New Year 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 2:20 PM, Chase Flynn | UAV Coach said:

Hi @CoconuttMonkey,

We were unable to locate any drone regulations for this location, if you could link to any published regulations that would be really helpful.

Thanks!

 - Chase 

Hi all,

Jefferson County (Jeffco) Open Space Regulations can be located here:  https://www.jeffco.us/1583/Regulations

Specific regulation follows:  

C.26. Missiles and Craft: C.26.a. Except as authorized by law or under this Policy, it shall be unlawful to throw, discharge, launch, operate by remote control or land any type of unmanned aircraft system (drone), missile, rocket or craft from, on or above Open Space Lands including waters. Fine: $50.00 C.26.b. Except as authorized by law or under this Policy, it shall be unlawful to launch, land or operate any piloted aircraft including, but not limited to, helicopters, airplanes, ultralights, gliders, hang gliders, paragliders, BASE jumpers, sky divers, powered parachutes or hot air balloons from, on or above Open Space Lands including waters. Fine: $200.00

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the link.  This is an interesting Regulation (?).  I am permitted to fly my drone in air space regulated by the FAA (which is all air space) as long as I comply with FAA rules, regulations and laws.  I have my 107 and as far as I am concerned, Jefferson County or the State of Colorado or Denver County has no jurisdiction over those flights once I am in the air.

I also will admit that they can tell me where I can take off or land as long as they own the land, but once I am in the air their ability to tell me anything is null and void, and I will consider their interruption as "interference with a pilot during the operation of an aircraft" which they will find out is a Federal crime.

Also, if they are going to enforce the law about flights over open space or parks in Jefferson County (they wrote the rule not me), they need to set up a kiosk at the airport so all pilots can pick up the ticket, because nearly all of them fly over open space and parks in Jeffco when they land or take off.  (want to pass a law and then not enforce it on all pilots??  It is also a crime to selectively apply the law to those you don't like or agree with.

Instead of trying to stop an activity that is safely practiced every day in Jefferson County, they should try to educate themselves and the public about air craft operation in the United States of America.  Also we as pilots should try to educate the "bad actors" in our hobby or profession. 

Good luck with their efforts when Amazon and UPS start delivering packages.  Tell them they can't fly, and see how much money they have to fight you, and slap you down like a bug hovering around a ...fill in the blank.

Be well and stay safe (and fly safely),

bf

p.s.  I also ride an electric assisted e-trike which I consider a personal mobility device because of my advanced age and physical abilities.  I don't know if it exactly meets their regulations on e-bikes, but I am told it is by the company that sold it to me, but because of the "people with disabilities act", it is required for me to use a public open space.  Please don't ask me what my disability is, because that is also a Federal crime.

Can we all just agree the Government only wants to control us in all our activities, and try to get along.

also, please forgive any spelling errors, because that is also one of my disabilities...bf

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 4:13 PM, Denver Dronie said:

Pretty much the Denver area sucks:

Aurora bans in all it's parks.

Denver bans in all their parks.

State of Colorado bans in all state parks - except the 2 designated paid airfields listed, which you have to pay the state park fee to enter the park and pay the airfield clubs for membership. Not sure how far you can even fly as the state bans flying in the rest of the park that surrounds each airfield.

Highlands Ranch Metro District bans in all it's parks and open space.

On and on and on!

it's sad but on the positive side, this is a quickly changing area and the FAA and local law makers are still working this out. this is why i hesitated getting a drone for years. i don't see any places where i live - north of denver but don't think  every place is listed. most seem be be unknown, especially when "Denver" shows south of denver cities. it's always safer to say or think no, you can't fly there. not sure if there's a special interest drone lobbyist , but that would improve laws.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 9:33 AM, CoconuttMonkey said:

FYI number one on that it’s (William F park aka Green Mountain) is an open space and therefore it is illegal to fly drones there. Best bet is to hit the mountains, they aren’t that far from Denver. 

but aren't mountain state parks illegal? i think we need to find a federal state park/land? hi. i'm a newbie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2021 at 4:59 PM, Bill Fearheller said:

Thanks for the link.  This is an interesting Regulation (?).  I am permitted to fly my drone in air space regulated by the FAA (which is all air space) as long as I comply with FAA rules, regulations and laws.  I have my 107 and as far as I am concerned, Jefferson County or the State of Colorado or Denver County has no jurisdiction over those flights once I am in the air.

I also will admit that they can tell me where I can take off or land as long as they own the land, but once I am in the air their ability to tell me anything is null and void, and I will consider their interruption as "interference with a pilot during the operation of an aircraft" which they will find out is a Federal crime.

Also, if they are going to enforce the law about flights over open space or parks in Jefferson County (they wrote the rule not me), they need to set up a kiosk at the airport so all pilots can pick up the ticket, because nearly all of them fly over open space and parks in Jeffco when they land or take off.  (want to pass a law and then not enforce it on all pilots??  It is also a crime to selectively apply the law to those you don't like or agree with.

Instead of trying to stop an activity that is safely practiced every day in Jefferson County, they should try to educate themselves and the public about air craft operation in the United States of America.  Also we as pilots should try to educate the "bad actors" in our hobby or profession. 

Good luck with their efforts when Amazon and UPS start delivering packages.  Tell them they can't fly, and see how much money they have to fight you, and slap you down like a bug hovering around a ...fill in the blank.

Be well and stay safe (and fly safely),

bf

p.s.  I also ride an electric assisted e-trike which I consider a personal mobility device because of my advanced age and physical abilities.  I don't know if it exactly meets their regulations on e-bikes, but I am told it is by the company that sold it to me, but because of the "people with disabilities act", it is required for me to use a public open space.  Please don't ask me what my disability is, because that is also a Federal crime.

Can we all just agree the Government only wants to control us in all our activities, and try to get along.

also, please forgive any spelling errors, because that is also one of my disabilities...bf

wouldn't it be great if they had an app (i should make one) where it showed legal take-off/land points and FAA airspace restrictions?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 10:31 AM, Av8Chuck said:

Well, there you go.  You pretty much can’t fly in Colorado.  

Funny thing is I looked all over the FAA’s website and didn’t find a single mention of these regulations!  All this time we’ve been told that the FAA has the sole authority of regulating airspace.  

6542. Aircraft
It is unlawful to land or launch any aircraft, engine powered, glider, or balloon, on any park facility, unless authorized by the Director of Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department.

6543. Remote Controlled Devices
Remote or radio controlled devices of all types are prohibited on any park facility, except in designated areas or unless authorized by the Director of Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department.

Huh, apparently it’s legal To fly over.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/video/technical-rescue-team-uses-drones-to-assist-with-colorado-hiker-rescue-efforts/vp-BBVHfCp

Can you spell hypocrisy?  Seems there are plenty of other Colorado State officials who want to leverage the benefits of using UAS.  

as a newbie, i'm learning the rules and have seen very few people talk about the difference between allowed to fly over vs allowed to land/take-off.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I could not find any restrictions for Douglas County parks in their park rules and regulations. I know there are for Highlands Ranch Metro District parks and Colorado state parks but didn't find anything for Douglas County parks.

Anyone aware of restrictions there?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.