Chase Flynn | UAV Coach

Where to Fly a Drone in Denver

It's often challenging to find a legal, safe, and visually interesting location to fly your drone, especially in a densely populated area with one or more airports.

After a round of comprehensive research, our team compiled a list of where to fly a drone in Denver . We also have this list of drone laws in Colorado that might be helpful.

Where do you like to fly your drone in Denver? We welcome your comments/experiences below.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 11:33 AM, CoconuttMonkey said:

FYI number one on that it’s (William F park aka Green Mountain) is an open space and therefore it is illegal to fly drones there. Best bet is to hit the mountains, they aren’t that far from Denver. 

Hi @CoconuttMonkey,

We were unable to locate any drone regulations for this location, if you could link to any published regulations that would be really helpful.

Thanks!

- Chase 

On 1/26/2020 at 9:59 AM, Bill Fearheller said:

I find it interesting that your "places to fly in Denver" were not in Denver.

Bill Fearheller

Hi @Bill Fearheller,

Due to local regulations and the airspace, we cannot always include locations right in the downtown area. We try to keep all of the locations on our 'Where to Fly' guides within an hour of the downtown area. 

Best, 

Chase 

Please remove Aurora Reservoir from this listing.  Flying of drones and other remote controlled aircraft is prohibited per City of Aurora Parks, Open Space, and Recreation Rules and Regulation:

6543. Remote Controlled Devices

Remote or radio controlled devices of all types are prohibited on any park facility, except in designated areas or unless authorized by the Director of Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department.

Park Rules and Regulations are enforced under City of Aurora Code:

Sec. 126-67. - Authority to establish and enforce.  Pursuant to article V of chapter 2 of this Code, the director of parks and open space, upon approval of the city manager, shall have authority to establish and amend the rules and regulations for parks and open space. The director of water, upon approval from the city manager, shall have authority to establish and amend the rules and regulations for water department property. The director of parks and open space shall have the authority to enforce all rules and regulations for parks, water department property used for recreational purposes and open space.

(Code 1979, § 29-102; Ord. No. 95-53, exhibit A (§ 29-102), 9-11-95; Ord. No. 2005-74, § 1, 10-10-2005)

More information can be obtained at the following web address:

https://www.auroragov.org/parks - click on the green button labeled: Park Rules and Regulations.  This will open up a PDF file listing all the rules and regulations for the City of Aurora, CO. 

We thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.  

Mike Bonham

Park Ranger Supervisor

303-326-8430 (Rangers)

Well, there you go.  You pretty much can’t fly in Colorado.  

21 hours ago, Aurora, CO Parks said:

Code 1979, § 29-102; Ord. No. 95-53, exhibit A (§ 29-102), 9-11-95; Ord. No. 2005-74, § 1, 10-10-2005)

Funny thing is I looked all over the FAA’s website and didn’t find a single mention of these regulations!  All this time we’ve been told that the FAA has the sole authority of regulating airspace.  

6542. Aircraft
It is unlawful to land or launch any aircraft, engine powered, glider, or balloon, on any park facility, unless authorized by the Director of Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department.

6543. Remote Controlled Devices
Remote or radio controlled devices of all types are prohibited on any park facility, except in designated areas or unless authorized by the Director of Parks, Recreation and Open Space Department.

Huh, apparently it’s legal To fly over.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/video/technical-rescue-team-uses-drones-to-assist-with-colorado-hiker-rescue-efforts/vp-BBVHfCp

Can you spell hypocrisy?  Seems there are plenty of other Colorado State officials who want to leverage the benefits of using UAS.  

To Whomever,

What would be the response to a drone flying over the park?  How about 100 drones?  I can launch from dozens of places without being in the park.  Anyone out there that wants to organize a flyover?  It would have to be done within the laws we all know and respect.

Sooner or later we will have to start organizing into a group large enough to get the politicians respect.

bf 

On 1/29/2020 at 11:50 AM, Aurora, CO Parks said:

Remote or radio controlled devices of all types are prohibited on any park facility,

This is not in Colorado but it certainly should get everyone’s attention.  Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Judge rules drones can take off and land in city parks.

https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/2020/02/drones-can-take-flight-from-public-parks-flint-area-judge-rules.html

4 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

This is not in Colorado but it certainly should get everyone’s attention.  Will be interesting to see where this goes.

Judge rules drones can take off and land in city parks.

https://www.mlive.com/news/flint/2020/02/drones-can-take-flight-from-public-parks-flint-area-judge-rules.html

Av8Chuck,

I find this ruling interesting.  I think that the responses we are getting from politicians are caused by a need for the politicians to respond to voters that have complained about someone flying a drone in perceived danger to kids, animals, or in general other park users.  I know I make an effort to keep far from kids because of their attraction to drones, and I don't want to have them around unsupervised because they get in my way.  I still think it will take an organisation that sues governments and wins to stop the harassment of pilots.

I have penned a response to the FAA on the i.d. rule they purpose, and I would like to get it to you and others to get input about it.  Could I post it here and have you read it.  I am not skilled at writing, but I feel strongly that the FAA is trying to ban us and shift the costs for that banning to us.  I am totally opposed to the use of the internet for any part of the i.d. rule, and I am more opposed to private companies acting as middlemen.

Let me know if that would be appropriate to use this forum to air my thoughts and receive comments.  If so, do I just "drag my file" to attach it, or would it be better to write my response out and post it here for comments?

Thank you,

Bill Fearheller