Where to Fly a Drone in Sacramento

It's often challenging to find a legal, safe, and visually interesting location to fly your drone, especially in a densely populated area with one or more airports.

After a round of comprehensive research, our team compiled a list of where to fly a drone in Sacramento. We also have this list of drone laws in California that might be helpful.

Where do you like to fly your drone in Sacramento? We welcome your comments/experiences below.

Thanks @Chase Flynn | UAV Coach for the information on flying in and around Sacramento as I live not too far from Sacramento and Folsom. These days I mainly fly at our local AMA club which is similar to the one in Davis that you had on your list of 5. One thing to point out when flying at an AMA site is you need to be both a member of the club and also the AMA

https://www.modelaircraft.org

Clubs usually have a guest policy but you still need to be an AMA member and permission to fly at their field.

Our city of Roseville allows flying in designated areas of some of its parks but does require the purchase of an annual permit and of course park rules as well as FAA rules must be followed.

https://www.roseville.ca.us/cms/one.aspx?portalId=7964922&pageId=13499979

I haven't flown in Folsom state park but understand that it is allowed. The main reason is its $12 each time you enter the park although of course annual passes are available.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask about the list of where to fly a drone in Sacramento. Are all 5 places in the list legal to fly drones in? I read about the Sacramento law about prohibiting drones in parks, and most of the places there are parks. I also found a link to a map of Sacramento parks where the law is applicable, but the map won't load, it says it reached its allowable views or something to that effect.

I ordered a drone and it will arrive on Monday, I was very excited to get flying, then I read about this Sacramento law, and it was a huge bummer :-( 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I currently live in Citrus Heights, CA and am searching for a place close by to practice flying my DJI Mini 2. I saw the link to Roseville but am unable to find information on obtaining an annual permit. The link shows “Page Not Found”. Would anyone know where I might find more information on this? Google search shows nothing. Also, can anyone offer more information on AMA memberships? Do they offer a place to fly?

Thank you and stay safe,

Keith

Just a heads up. I hope this helps someone, cause I know it has helped me, I found out how I can legally fly drones in Roseville, CA with causing any grief.

The website; http://roseville.ca.us/news/archive_news/2018_archive_news/before_you_fly_a_drone___.

You can apply for a permit to fly in 3 parks in the city for $5 annually. I know it isn't much, but it's something.

Thank you and stay safe.

Keith

On 12/29/2020 at 7:21 PM, Grand_Pubah said:

Just a heads up. I hope this helps someone, cause I know it has helped me, I found out how I can legally fly drones in Roseville, CA with causing any grief.

The website; http://roseville.ca.us/news/archive_news/2018_archive_news/before_you_fly_a_drone___.

You can apply for a permit to fly in 3 parks in the city for $5 annually. I know it isn't much, but it's something.

Thank you and stay safe.

Keith

I've purchased that Roseville Parks drone permit a couple of times and have flown in the designated area (soccer field #2) in Maidu Park on several occasions but not recently as the last several months the entire soccer field was fenced off while new turf was laid. My understanding is that the project should be finished sometime in February. I fly more fixed wing models these days and mainly at a this local AMA club field located between Roseville and Lincoln.

https://www.amosrc.com

To fly here you do need to be a member of both this club and the AMA and although I've seen the occasional FPV drone fly there its mainly fixed wing model planes.

Edited by Spitfire76

• 9 months later...

River bend park is another county park that is a great place to fly.  I Mather AFB (not an active base, but local airshows are held there, and its the base the president landed at on his last visit to Sacramento) is nearby, so you need to scan for air traffic, although I've only had to alter my flights for a helicopter in the area.  The river has a bridge that crosses it and some islands and rapids if the water flow is high enough which presents some great photos.  There can be a lot of traffic on the American River bike trail, so watch you flightpaths and have emergency plans in place - you can't just land in the river, and there are lots of trees that may limit low altitude flight while returning to home.

I also have some pictures that I love from the water pump station on the American River at Sacramento State University.  I want to get some pictures of the pump station on the Sacramento River also, but I haven't taken the time to go there yet.  

If you're up to a drive, about 45 minutes outside of Sacramento you can hit up Coloma - Marshall gold discover site (state park) has the old lumber mill and raceway.  There is also a lot of whitewater rafting and kayaking in the area if you want some actions shots.  Make sure you follow all the drone laws about flying over people since the area can be crowded on some weekends, and be courteous if trying to take pictures or video of the rafters and kayakers - I have found that most of the times the people on the river love being in pictures and videos, and I always offer to share the  pictures I have taken to the "models".

River bend park is another county park that is a great place to fly.  I Mather AFB (not an active base, but local airshows are held there, and its the base the president landed at on his last visit to Sacramento) is nearby, so you need to scan for air traffic, although I've only had to alter my flights for a helicopter in the area.  The river has a bridge that crosses it and some islands and rapids if the water flow is high enough which presents some great photos.  There can be a lot of traffic on the American River bike trail, so watch you flightpaths and have emergency plans in place - you can't just land in the river, and there are lots of trees that may limit low altitude flight while returning to home.

I also have some pictures that I love from the water pump station on the American River at Sacramento State University.  I want to get some pictures of the pump station on the Sacramento River also, but I haven't taken the time to go there yet.  

If you're up to a drive, about 45 minutes outside of Sacramento you can hit up Coloma - Marshall gold discover site (state park) has the old lumber mill and raceway.  There is also a lot of whitewater rafting and kayaking in the area if you want some actions shots.  Make sure you follow all the drone laws about flying over people since the area can be crowded on some weekends, and be courteous if trying to take pictures or video of the rafters and kayakers - I have found that most of the times the people on the river love being in pictures and videos, and I always offer to share the  pictures I have taken to the "models".