TheTechGuy

Anyone have a favorite tablet for FPV up to 8"?

Hi All,

I have a Phantom 3 and have adapted the tablet/cell phone holder with an after market extension for my 10.1 Samsung Tablet. To make things worse, beside the weight, the USB connector cable for the controller comes in the bottom of the tablet allowing the whole thing to rock with no other options.

If the day is even partial bright, I have large issues trying to see what I am doing. With the size of my fingers and aged eyesight, using a cell phone seems out of the question even if bright enough.

Does anyone have any ideas for a low priced, bright, sharp clear screen to specifically be used for flying my drone?

I may be asking for my cake-n-eat-it-too.

i have a samsung tab 4 that works fairly well. with the sunlight you may want to get some blinders on it to reduce the incoming glare.

Edited by RemotelyPossible
  • Like 1

Thanks RemotelyPossible,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I figured perhaps rather than purchase an unknown and get into the same situation with another tablet, I would do just what you suggested. Since the 10.1" is a bit hefty when trying to control, I will have a shade coming in that  fits a tripod as well. I guess I'll give that a try and see what develops.

Not a bad idea, you may also want to think about your comfort, a table set up may become beneficial if you are finding  the weight of the controller et al is becoming too much. it all depends on what you are looking to get out of it. 

Another good idea!

However, I want to be as mobile as possible and do find myself turning around to get a visual on the drone, especially when I can't see the tablet screen due to the sun.

What I do have is a brand new compact, lightweight, fold-able fabric seat that I acquired and forgot about until your suggestion. Ahhh, more hardware to lug :(

Well you could always go the other direction and make a mobile platform from an old backpack, or some other materials, that could act as a harness for the controller and the screen!

I just received the hood yesterday which as all these accessories go, was not completely thought out or engineered by the manufacturer. Since the original problem was a bottom fed tablet, the holder on this package adds the same problem. Also, all this plastic can't handle the weight properly so the tablet/hood floats a bit on the mount. I had to modify the clamp with a slot to work properly. It is mounted to the tripod, but now I need some good weather, not due until next week perhaps, to try it all out.

Thanks for the additional suggestions!

20160502_175310_resized.jpg

• Like 1