Not exactly. DoD personnel are not banned from using them. They are prohibited from being used on any DoD installation for security concerns. Just like with flash-drives, hidden code could be used to attempt a hack into the infrastucture, something the military doesn’t mess around with. 

17 hours ago, Ryan Segan said:

prohibited from being used on any DoD installation for security concerns.

And how do you define ban?  

On 5/16/2019 at 6:41 AM, Dave Pitman said:

DOD doesn't control airspace.  But, the use of off the shelf drone use is banned by DOD personnel.

https://www.wired.com/story/army-dji-drone-ban/

The Link @Dave Pitman posted was WIRED talking about the Army ban about two years ago.  The undersecretary of defense banned cots on May 23 of last year.  The overall ban is more complicated than the security issue in the previous ban.  

The more reasonable point is that this ban is being broadend to include all federal agencies. 

30 minutes ago, Av8Chuck said:

The Link @Dave Pitman posted was WIRED talking about the Army ban about two years ago.  The undersecretary of defense banned cots on May 23 of last year.  The overall ban is more complicated than the security issue in the previous ban.  

The more reasonable point is that this ban is being broadend to include all federal agencies. 

Yeah, I just grabbed a quick link.  My point was the ban has nothing to do with airspace.

I have not done any work for DOD, but I have done a little for the DOE.  Can you elaborate on the "broadening" comment?

If you go anywhere near a DoD installation (I say this as I was USAF for 20yrs, retired for 3yrs) and I still frequent many bases. Before entering the gate a warning is placed there specifying that drones are not permitted to be flown on the installations.  Doesn’t matter what type. Plain & simple ALL drone use is prohibited. As for DoD personnel, that’s a pretty wide-net and is false. It’s the “on-installation” that is the problem. If you go off-base and fly where it is legal, then as a DoD employee, you’re private time is not controlled.  

Thanks to all of you.  A very worthwhile topic as we work through the use of drones.  I appreciate being educated by those in the know.

I created a topic for and posted this link there as well.

https://www.suasnews.com/2019/05/dji-huawei-spying-and-how-they-bamboozled-the-faa-and-american-public/

i used to think that many of the issues related to the ban was that DJI didn’t understand the cultural differences of doing business in the US.  Now I think it’s the citizens of the US that don’t understand the importance of what DJI is doing.  

Currently there is no credible US alternative to Chinese manufactured UAVs!  That has little to do with the ban on DJI and more to do with the lack of understanding in Silicon Valley of the importance of the UAV industry and the applications it will enable.  

VC’s view it simply as a hardware issue and are holding out hope that there’s a 28 year old Harvard dropout that will create a social app for that...  

The loss of manufacturing in the US is not a result of lack of knowledge or experience or even the economics, but a lack of will.