Zacc Dukowitz

FAA Announces New Rules for Recreational Drone Pilots Flying Near Airports

Last week the FAA announced that recreational drone pilots will now have to obtain prior authorization to fly in controlled airspace around airports.

They also highlighted the upcoming release of a knowledge test for recreational drone pilots, although we still don't have a lot of information about what the test is going to look like.

Read today's article to get our key takeaways from the announcement, and to learn more about the new prior authorization requirement for hobbyists.

Hey Zacc! First off I wanna say thank you to you and UAV coach for keeping up with the FAA. Here’s the Rub on the drone industry: The FAA can create as many drone laws as they want, 100s, 1000s, or millions, In the end though if no one knows what they are, and no one is going to enforce them, it doesn’t matter! If there isn’t anyone in the law making agency to teach and enforce their laws, the laws have no power. A teen or child who gets a drone for his birthday isn’t going to go online and check if he’s obeying the laws of the land, your lucky if he even knows or even cares to register his drone. Until Drone are treated like cars the laws will never matter. But thank you for keeping us informed. If it weren’t for you I would never know the rules. 

This is a quantum step backwards. I am fixed wing pilot and human factors scientists that has work in the field for 20 years, 10 years with the FAA. I am also a drone hobbyist that uses my drone to record our football practices. We are under close to a class D airspace. I would call the tower and get approval. At first they were confused but after a few times we never had an issues. They eventually gave me approval for a week at a time. I would give them our practice times and altitude and location. Now we have no way to fly legally. This is definitely a step backwards. I very disappointing given the FAAs newer policies of relaxing regulations for GA. 

But, what about recreational pilots, flying near small airports that reside in Class-G space.

Previously, it was within 5 miles of ANY airport, controlled or uncontrolled, but I don't see that addressed in the latest announcement: https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=93769

So, can rec pilots fly their UAV very near a small airport in uncontrolled space, provided they remain free of the runway exclusion zone?

Edited by ShutterPilot
changed "tarmac" to "runway exclusion zone" to be more precise...