Josh

Greetings from Ann Arbor!

Hello all,

My name is Joshua Lee, and I am a recent grad looking to expand my knowledge in drones as well as seek a career in the drone industry. I graduated from the University of Michigan in May 2014 with a BSE in Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering. I just recently ordered my first drone (UDI U818A HD) and I have actually never piloted a drone before but I look forward to testing it out! Any advice/tips for first timers is appreciated!

Same here also on the career , already have a few of my friends that want me to do some drone work for them , and I don't even have my drone yet ! Hopefully next month , I'm gonna order the Inspire with the Zemuss camera . 

On 5/1/2016 at 10:25 PM, Butch Portell said:

Same here also on the career , already have a few of my friends that want me to do some drone work for them , and I don't even have my drone yet ! Hopefully next month , I'm gonna order the Inspire with the Zemuss camera . 

Awesome! I'm excited to get my UDI U818A HD drone as well. Planning on learning how to fly it then taking it apart and possibly making some modifications.

Love the enthusiasm! One suggestion i would make if you have never flown quadcopter style drones, Also pick up a Hubsan X4 or something similar, as the first few flights tend to be wrought with crashes, the X4 is a sturdy little $35 drone that can take a beating and keep going as you become more familiar with the controls and flight mechanics. Keep at it and soon you'll be flying with ease! 

2 hours ago, RemotelyPossible said:

Love the enthusiasm! One suggestion i would make if you have never flown quadcopter style drones, Also pick up a Hubsan X4 or something similar, as the first few flights tend to be wrought with crashes, the X4 is a sturdy little $35 drone that can take a beating and keep going as you become more familiar with the controls and flight mechanics. Keep at it and soon you'll be flying with ease! 

I heard drones can be hard to fly at first which is why I bought a protection plan. However, if I do feel like I need to buy a cheaper one for more practice I'll definitely look into buying that Hubsan X4. Thanks for the advice, appreciate it! I'll try to post some videos once I get my drone.

Looking Forward to those videos, if anything the nice thing about the hubsan is she'll fly indoors allowing you to get a better feel for the flight mechanics even if the weather is nasty outside. My other advice is to have a focus each time you practice, this will vastly increase the speed at which you learn, maybe one day focus on yaw turns, another on landing like a feather, another on orientation control, etc, having a reason for your practice tends to make that practice more beneficial, though it is good every once and awhile to have some time to get into the flow of moving from one maneuver to another. 

1 hour ago, RemotelyPossible said:

Looking Forward to those videos, if anything the nice thing about the hubsan is she'll fly indoors allowing you to get a better feel for the flight mechanics even if the weather is nasty outside. My other advice is to have a focus each time you practice, this will vastly increase the speed at which you learn, maybe one day focus on yaw turns, another on landing like a feather, another on orientation control, etc, having a reason for your practice tends to make that practice more beneficial, though it is good every once and awhile to have some time to get into the flow of moving from one maneuver to another. 

Just fyi, I'm a noob when it comes to video editing (hoping to get some practice in that as well). Anyways, what are some challenges you faced when first learning how to fly?

11 hours ago, RemotelyPossible said:

i like your your advise. very encouraging.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Neo said:

i like your your advise. very encouraging.

Thank you much, Really just echoing what i have learned from teaching and from @Alan Perlman and the great community here at uavcoach! Also, i am in love with your profile picture, dangerously cute.

YOU GUYS. 

@RemotelyPossible thanks as always for your engagement, particularly with new community members.

And to @Neo, @Josh, and @Butch Portell...welcome!

This forum is still relatively new--we launched in January, so anything you're looking for, or any questions you have, or any progress (pics and videos!!) you'd like to share with us is more than welcome.

Blue skies and fly safe.

@Josh I feel you on the video editing, i had very little experience prior to my affliction with the drone bug, but it has become a necessary skill set for my goals as a UAViator. There are definitely some aerial editing experts here that should be able to give you some hints and tips on how to produce better end products, and i will gladly offer what advice i can as well. 

Also a Noob is just a future expert whose starting their journey. We all start somewhere.

To your question on the issues i have faced while moving from total noob, to proficient and efficient pilot, to professional drone pilot (god that sounds so cool) first is throttle control and small movements, it is a game of minute and nearly constant changes on the controls to maintain steady flight; learning how and where the drone will respond on the control sticks is vital to more advanced maneuvers. The best method here is again practice, and spending time in Atti mode (non GPS) to learn how to really manually control the bird. The second, and the order here could be argued, is orientation control. knowing how the UAV will respond to any stick input after it has been yawed (turned) so that you and it are no longer facing the same direction. I would say this is one of the number one causes of new pilots to crash, or fly away (which often is blamed on the drone but investigating the flight data shows poor piloting skills). To practice this i will fly up and yaw (left stick Left/Right in mode 2) then get comfortable with the controls by moving only the right stick until i get a sense of how the drone responds to each movement, rotate, and repeat. 

2 hours ago, RemotelyPossible said:

@Josh I feel you on the video editing, i had very little experience prior to my affliction with the drone bug, but it has become a necessary skill set for my goals as a UAViator. There are definitely some aerial editing experts here that should be able to give you some hints and tips on how to produce better end products, and i will gladly offer what advice i can as well. 

Also a Noob is just a future expert whose starting their journey. We all start somewhere.

To your question on the issues i have faced while moving from total noob, to proficient and efficient pilot, to professional drone pilot (god that sounds so cool) first is throttle control and small movements, it is a game of minute and nearly constant changes on the controls to maintain steady flight; learning how and where the drone will respond on the control sticks is vital to more advanced maneuvers. The best method here is again practice, and spending time in Atti mode (non GPS) to learn how to really manually control the bird. The second, and the order here could be argued, is orientation control. knowing how the UAV will respond to any stick input after it has been yawed (turned) so that you and it are no longer facing the same direction. I would say this is one of the number one causes of new pilots to crash, or fly away (which often is blamed on the drone but investigating the flight data shows poor piloting skills). To practice this i will fly up and yaw (left stick Left/Right in mode 2) then get comfortable with the controls by moving only the right stick until i get a sense of how the drone responds to each movement, rotate, and repeat. 

Many thanks for the tips! Now I'm getting even more excited about finally being able to fly my first drone (still waiting for Amazon to ship it...).