dbaker

Business License Needed?

I am very new to the drone game, even newer to the drone business game.

If I am going to get my Part 107 license and want to make money, do I need to set up a business and get state and local licenses? Or am I basically covered in that regard by the Part 107. I heard that I can get the Part 107 license and then make money the next day.

On 6/2/2019 at 5:07 PM, dbaker said:

I am very new to the drone game, even newer to the drone business game.

If I am going to get my Part 107 license and want to make money, do I need to set up a business and get state and local licenses? Or am I basically covered in that regard by the Part 107. I heard that I can get the Part 107 license and then make money the next day.

As the FAA states on their website Part 107 certification allows pilots with a drone that is less than 55 pounds to fly for work or business by following the Part 107 guidelines. It does not replace any local or state rules for establishing and running a business.

If you listen to podcasts you might find this one helpful.

https://thedronetrainer.com/drone-podcast/

Edited by Spitfire76

Hi @dbaker,

Welcome to the UAV Coach Community Forum and the drone industry! Most people who start a drone business set up a LLC (Limited Liability Company). This is a fairly easy process and usually the application and fee for setting up the LLC can be filed online. The applications and fees do vary from state to state. You can find information about LLC’s on your states government website. 

The FAA Part 107 Certification is similar to a drivers license, because it is valid in all 50 states.  To learn more about U.S. drone laws, you can check out our regulation guide here:   https://uavcoach.com/drone-laws-in-united-states-of-america/

I hope this helps and good luck with your business! 

- Chase