BenL

How to connect remote to drone??

I have a Tero Q215mm DIY drone and a Taranis QX7 (it’s my first DIY drone) how would I connect the two? Thanks!

8 minutes ago, BenL said:

I have a Tero Q215mm DIY drone and a Taranis QX7 (it’s my first DIY drone) how would I connect the two? Thanks!

Can I assume that if you are going to use the Taranis QX7 transmitter that your Q215 has a compatible FrSky receiver ?. Only it looks like some versions come with a receiver and some don't. If it does the first thing we need to work out is how to "bind" your TX with the receiver but lets first check that it has one.

Edited by Spitfire76

28 minutes ago, BenL said:

Yes it does have a compatible receiver, I can send a pic if needed 

Do you know what type of FrySky receiver?. Is it the XM+ ?. If it does this video that I found should help with the bind procedure. If it does't bind you may have to flash firmware on the receiver as mentioned in this video.

Edited by Spitfire76

So thanks...it is the XM plus and it does everything it should do in the video but, #1 the board gets piping hot #2 when I press bind it comes up with “channel 1-8 no telem channel 1-8 telem channel 9-16 telem channel 9-16 no telem” all of these are options. And lastly nothing happens when I apply power 

14 hours ago, BenL said:

#1 the board gets piping hot #2

That doesn't sound too good. I don't have one of these receivers but it looks like the wiring is quite simple. Those 3 connections should go directly to the flight controller.

2111642700_ScreenShot2019-06-06at7_35_13AM.thumb.png.a8e6358c71f0c22a890a10f7d03ad42a.png

#2 when I press bind it comes up with “channel 1-8 no telem channel 1-8 telem channel 9-16 telem channel 9-16 no telem” all of these are options.

This is for receivers that have PWM pins and since this just has an SBus output it really should not matter which one you select.

And lastly nothing happens when I apply power

Does that mean that the LEDs don't come on when you apply power ?

Edited by Spitfire76

3 hours ago, Spitfire76 said:

That doesn't sound too good. I don't have one of these receivers but it looks like the wiring is quite simple. Those 3 connections should go directly to the flight controller.

2111642700_ScreenShot2019-06-06at7_35_13AM.thumb.png.a8e6358c71f0c22a890a10f7d03ad42a.png

This is for receivers that have PWM pins and since this just has an SBus output it really should not matter which one you select.

Does that mean that the LEDs don't come on when you apply power ?

The LEDs on the drone to indeed come on when I connect the battery. When I apply throttle the motors don’t do anything.

11 minutes ago, BenL said:

The LEDs on the drone to indeed come on when I connect the battery. When I apply throttle the motors don’t do anything.

Ok, what color LEDs come on and are they flashing or on solid ? As explained in the video the receiver is bound when power is applied and the green LED comes on solid.

1 hour ago, BenL said:

Oh the LEDs on the reciver? They do the exact same thing as in the video.

In that case a solid green on the receiver should mean that the QX7 and XM+ are bound. Is the FC running the betaflight software and if so have you checked its working with the betaflight configurator ?.

Just wanted to add to my previous post. I suspect that the Betaflight configuration has already been setup so you may not need to change much but you can check that the QX7 channels are mapped correctly by going to the "receiver" section of the configurator. Also you do need to "arm" the motors which could be the cause of your issue with them not doing anything when you move the throttle. You need to configure the QX7 with a switch mapped to say channel 5 to be used for arming.

Of course remove the props before doing any bench testing.

Edited by Spitfire76

Wow thank you very much for all the help! I did assume it might be something with arming the motors...I will try doing that in beta flight. How would I set one trigger to arm the motors? 

3 hours ago, BenL said:

Thanks that did help. Now for some reason I cant get Betaflight to work? Betaflight doesnt seem to recognize that theres any drone plugged in. 

Did it work and then stop working or has it never worked ?.

What OS version are you running it on ?.

Update: I have managed to connect it to beta flight and set arm switch but now the motors simply do not move.

22 hours ago, BenL said:

Update: I have managed to connect it to beta flight and set arm switch but now the motors simply do not move.

Now that you are connected with the Betaflight configurator you should be able to check that the arm switch is actually working by going to the modes menu. You should have an "ARM" mode configured and when you operate the switch on your transmitter it should move from the gray area to the orange. Its that the case ?.

Edited by Spitfire76

16 hours ago, Spitfire76 said:

Now that you are connected with the Betaflight configurator you should be able to check that the arm switch is actually working by going to the modes menu. You should have an "ARM" mode configured and when you operate the switch on your transmitter it should move from the gray area to the orange. Its that the case ?.

So i can move the switch (and Betaflight sees that i move it) but it does not turn orange 

I'll show you a quick video of what happens. The switch that I move is the arm switch. Also why does the channel indicator move like that?

50 minutes ago, BenL said:

So i can move the switch (and Betaflight sees that i move it) but it does not turn orange 

Here are a couple of screen shots from my setup. The first is one is with the switch in disarm and the second is when its armed. You are right it looks like the square to the left does not turn orange but whats important is the small orange PWM indicator moves from the gray range to the orange range.

65814476_ScreenShot2019-06-15at9_39_25AM.thumb.png.e5200bad3820bdd5a01e4e7d0ce26262.png

1919229174_ScreenShot2019-06-15at9_39_50AM.thumb.png.24d9da942d00dafc023b78bf17c33d4b.png

Edited by Spitfire76

Yes the orange tick mark moves into the orange area in Betaflight for me too. But the motors wont spin. When I tested them with a voltmeter it tells me that they aren’t getting any power...(they ARE armed and I am applying power when I test them)  Also I cant seem to upload the video. Might just make a YouTube channel and upload there. 

Edited by BenL

3 hours ago, BenL said:

But the motors wont spin

Have you tried the "motor test" in betaflight ?. You will need to select the "I understand the risks....." to enable it as they want to make sure you remove the props but you should be able to test each motor and you don't have to be in arm mode or even have the transmitter on. In retrospect I should have suggested that earlier.

Edited by Spitfire76

26 minutes ago, Spitfire76 said:

Have you tried the "motor test" in betaflight ?. You will need to select the "I understand the risks....." to enable it as they want to make sure you remove the props but you should be able to test each motor and you don't have to be in arm mode or even have the transmitter on. In retrospect I should have suggested that earlier.

I have tried that. The motors do not spin. When I move the master control in Betaflight (I have tried moving each bar by itself) the bars move but the motors don't spin. (when I manually move the motors the red line in Betaflights motors tab does move slightly)

22 minutes ago, BenL said:

have tried that. The motors do not spin

Sorry to ask this but is the battery charged and connected as although the flight controller will get enough power from the usb connection of the PC its not sufficient to power the motors.