New Mavic 2 geo restrictions

Aloha gang! 

Just a little heads up to be on the watch for unannounced updated NFZ parameters. I was recently locked out of a zone I've flown countless times under WAA.  Echo airspace, 100ft LAANC grid, no take off from DJI.

More recently, in local Charlie airspace, given a notice of an altitude cap just over 400ft. White in flat land this would be fine, but where I am, you can exceed that by just flying up the mountain side a few feet.

So tired of DJI's airspace management over reach.

1 hour ago, davedoc said:

The squares that I see delineating max altitude ARE pretty big which can allow for pretty big terrain differences. I don't see this so much as a DJI problem and more of a FAA/LAANC issue.

Except for the part where it's specifically a DJI applied restriction to the aircraft, whereas other manufacturers don't bother with micromanaging pilots.  The notice popped up within the DJI Go app...NFZ altitude restriction, Max height 495ft.  Like I said before, you could literally burn off 300' from terrain elevation within the grid I was flying (400' grid).  Has absolutely nothing to do with LAANC system at all.

50 minutes ago, Dave Pitman said:

You can pretty easily get any zone unlocked by (over-reaching) DJI through their custom unlocking process.  You may however, still have issue with using alternate control apps.

I think you're missing my point. I can fly there, but if I were to be inspecting tall buildings, or simply fly up the hillside, I'd hit a ceiling. Especially the hillside ascent... This would pose a problem, as the drone would still be under 400ft AGL, but DJI's over reach would stop me from elevating accordingly.

57 minutes ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

I think you're missing my point. I can fly there, but if I were to be inspecting tall buildings, or simply fly up the hillside, I'd hit a ceiling. Especially the hillside ascent... This would pose a problem, as the drone would still be under 400ft AGL, but DJI's over reach would stop me from elevating accordingly.

So you received a custom unlock but are limited to 400' above takeoff point?

7 hours ago, Dave Pitman said:

So you received a custom unlock but are limited to 400' above takeoff point?

No custom unlock at all, just a straight forward LAANC authorized 400ft grid on the outer edge of the airspace, indicated by the blue outline in the photo below.  Note the super steep cliffs in the far edge of the actual LAANC grid.  The land below, with houses on it, is also super steep terrain.

IMG_8299.thumb.jpg.5dad63f9bf4200619c144ab33f2d6f5f.jpg

After obtaining LAANC authorization, I fired up the M2Z only to find this altitude limit of 495ft in place, as indicated by the yellow warning in the top of the screen.  Check the pics below to see.

Yes, I think I understood you correctly.  You do understand that the FAA system has nothing to do with the DJI system.  Just because you get a LAANC authorization, that has no effect on DJI's GEO restrictions.  If you look at DJI's GEO map, you will see the restriction they have in place.  

I'm saying, if you contact DJI, and present a copy of your LAANC clearance a couple of days in advance, they can provide you a custom unlock of their GEO restriction that is saved to your craft and that limit should be removed. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.ded7bb9aebef5ddbc534a141bd013c3a.JPG

'

5 hours ago, Dave Pitman said:

Yes, I think I understood you correctly.  You do understand that the FAA system has nothing to do with the DJI system.  Just because you get a LAANC authorization, that has no effect on DJI's GEO restrictions.  If you look at DJI's GEO map, you will see the restriction they have in place.  

I'm saying, if you contact DJI, and present a copy of your LAANC clearance a couple of days in advance, they can provide you a custom unlock of their GEO restriction that is saved to your craft and that limit should be removed. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.ded7bb9aebef5ddbc534a141bd013c3a.JPG

'

Yes, I know that DJI geo has nothing to do with LAANC.  That's exactly the problem.

I've flown this area we're discussing countless times, zooming up the steep hill, flying back down, on different DJI birds without this ever popping up.  A week ago was the first time for this zone.  Both birds are current on updates, and yet the P4 still does NOT give me this hassle.

As for unlocking ahead of time, that doesn't work here always.  Often times this area is socked in with clouds and rain, so it's a case of 'if the clouds are out and you have time, run out there and fly the mission'.  THIS is why DJI's micromanagement of airspace is a problem.  It would be best if we could submit a 107 cert verification, and they just unlock the zone, leaving us to deal with airspace auth on our own.  107 pilots are not the problem in the illegal airspace operation world.

Here's another case...about a week before the debacle mentioned above, I was in a Sfc E 100ft grid.  Craft absolutely would NOT liftoff, designated NFZ by DJI only.  I hold WAA for this area, and regardless of that, the airport defaults to G space from 6pm until sunrise.  So, what if I'm just trying to fly during G class hours, and the aircraft cannot even start because of DJI's fencing?  See the problem here?

34 minutes ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

See the problem here?

My friend, I absolutely see the problem and you have no idea the lobbying I,  @Av8Chuck , and a few others have done directly with Brendan Schulman on this issue in another venue over 2 years.  I'm simply trying to help you out. Regarding getting in touch with DJI, you can get a custom unlock for the period of your WAA.  So, for example, if your COA is good until Sept. 2019, then DJI will give you an unlock for all of your registered craft for that same period.  When you renew your COA, renew your DJI unlock and you're good for another year.

• Like 1

I Don't have a DJI, but want one. I have the YUNEEC typhoon H. I got the restrictions taken off by just giving yuneec my  part 107 number, then they gave me a code to download onto the drone.

A lot of my friends who fly DJI are having problems with airspaces and updates with these drones. Sad they have to deal with that stuff.😢

11 hours ago, Dave Pitman said:

My friend, I absolutely see the problem and you have no idea the lobbying I,  @Av8Chuck , and a few others have done directly with Brendan Schulman on this issue in another venue over 2 years.  I'm simply trying to help you out. Regarding getting in touch with DJI, you can get a custom unlock for the period of your WAA.  So, for example, if your COA is good until Sept. 2019, then DJI will give you an unlock for all of your registered craft for that same period.  When you renew your COA, renew your DJI unlock and you're good for another year.

Much appreciated, Dave, I'll try this.  Seems to be the closest thing to solution for now.