Chase Flynn | UAV Coach

Where to Fly a Drone in Virginia Beach

It's often challenging to find a legal, safe, and visually interesting location to fly your drone, especially in a densely populated area with one or more airports.

After a round of comprehensive research, our team compiled a list of where to fly a drone in Virginia Beach. We also have this list of drone laws in Virginia that might be helpful.

Where do you like to fly your drone in Virginia Beach? We welcome your comments/experiences below.

A few comments on the Va Beach flying areas listed.

Fishing pier - Nice place to get some good sunrise pics. Very busy area with people. A lot of people fly in northern Va Beach (North End). Tourists fly in southern Va Beach (Sandbridge).

Mount Trashmore - Nice sized lake to fly over. Go early as it is a busy park. 

Stumpy Lake - Can get nice cypress tree pics with good reflections. Not a lot of launch areas. Golf course close by. 

Oak Grove Park - Huge lake with a lot of places to launch. In Chesapeake Va, my favorite place to fly. I like to fly over water and always have fun there with good skyline shots of downtown Norfolk and the Virginia Beach financial district (Town Center)

Great Bridge Locks - Good place for beginner pilots. Not a huge flying area, but can practice on fundamentals to gain confidence. 

There is a lot of farmland in southern Va Beach and Chesapeake. Quiet and fun places to fly if you know the landowners.

Len

I just got my drone earlier this week and have been thinking of places to fly. I’ve thought of most of the places and the limitations as Len has noted. 

My second flight was at the park at the base of the Jordan bridge. I filed a flight plan using AirMap with a radius that stopped about mid river and did not overlap the ship yard. I received approval right away as it said none was required.   I thought the river provided good views and the chance to get boat traffic navigating the bridge was cool.  I’ll go back there for sure.

Battlefield park across the street from the Locks park is a place I’ll go when the wind dies down and allows me to fly.  I’m to new to be risky with my drone and want to explore the marsh between the drawbridge and overpass and the ICW. 

The Pungo Ferry bridge park is another place I plan to check out. 

When the weather gets nicer I plan to take my drone out on my kayak and launch from places along the ICW in southern Va Beach.  I’ll probably go to Lake Drummond and fly there too.  

Any other ideas?