JBR LIFE Photography

Property Photos: Past, Present & Future

Aloha everyone!  

I made this thread in an attempt to promote sharing still photography related to real estate & architecture.  While the obvious desire is to see some of those mad aerial skills, feel free to bam it with ground & interior images you'd like to showcase.

So, in a nutshell, have a sweet property pic to share?  Want some advice on a photo edit?  Just wanna feel good about nailing a shot?  Then this is the place to share it!  I'll kick off the party with a few of my own. 

MODS:  Could this one be pinned to the top with the video thread?

DJI_0406-Edit.thumb.jpg.82ac8078913c3e945be6b8f6b5c0caf1.jpg

• Like 1

...and lastly, this is an interior shot from a luxury vacation rental penthouse.  The image here is a single exposure, no layering or HDR, just some gentle strobe work and a bit of work in Lightroom to bring in the view.

DSC06160.thumb.jpg.f33fe3568151ea9807fcf11fdbb53f96.jpg

• Like 1

I'll join in here Jon.  

I tend to use my Mavic 2 Pro for exterior stills more than most would imagine.  I also do some ground photography, but looking at my last few projects the M2P is getting a lot of exercise.

Biggest thing with exterior drone shots is not to include too much roof.  I try to keep my altitude parallel with the edge of the roof:

QR3eZfofXV1owDJVb0EDwYyLpMmGY=

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

And another, although admittedly this shot is a bit too high:

QR3eZfofXV1owDJVb0EDwYyLpMmGY=

I don't think it's too high.  Had the camera been lower, that big scraggly tree would've blocked off the garage entirely. 

I think you're spot on with making sure to get stills down low, but try to find exceptions to your own rule and see how you surprise yourself :)

Thanks for sharing and jumping into this thread too!

Edited by JBR LIFE Photography

When you shoot these, are you doing the thing where you walk a single flash around the room and shoot different frames, plus one metered for exterior view?  I've heard / seen this method before, just curious if that's your gig.  Or is it a single interior with a single exterior blend?

1 minute ago, JBR LIFE Photography said:

When you shoot these, are you doing the thing where you walk a single flash around the room and shoot different frames, plus one metered for exterior view?  I've heard / seen this method before, just curious if that's your gig.  Or is it a single interior with a single exterior blend?

Typically it's a three-shot blend.  The general procedure goes like this:

1.  Ambient light, no flash shot ETTR (exposed to the right)

2.  Flash shot ETTR - monolight for large rooms and speed light for everything else

3.  Flash shot ETTR with gray card if I haven't shot that color room yet

4.  Expose for view outdoors and blow out interior with flash for darken mode blending in PhotoShop

If I need to get more flash elsewhere for weird shaped rooms, I have two speed lights that I can position wherever needed. 

Nathan Cool does a much better job explaining how these shots are done on YouTube.  He's a Jedi at this type of photography.  

1 minute ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

Typically it's a three-shot blend.  The general procedure goes like this:

1.  Ambient light, no flash shot ETTR (exposed to the right)

2.  Flash shot ETTR - monolight for large rooms and speed light for everything else

3.  Flash shot ETTR with gray card if I haven't shot that color room yet

4.  Expose for view outdoors and blow out interior with flash for darken mode blending in PhotoShop

If I need to get more flash elsewhere for weird shaped rooms, I have two speed lights that I can position wherever needed. 

Nathan Cool does a much better job explaining how these shots are done on YouTube.  He's a Jedi at this type of photography.  

Very interesting.  I'm surprised to see the gray card come back into play, but then again, that's kinda cool.  Haven't played with those in a while.

It creates a clean look, and I think yours does a better job than most at not flattening the image and losing depth.  Most of the ambient blending work I've seen looks like a CAD rendering, which I personally find undesirable, but that's just me.  Good job, good work.

I guess I'm still just old school, schlepping around strobes and working the piss outta my files. lol

• Like 1

Now and again, I do have to blend 2 frames.  One strobed for the interior, one for the exterior.  Here's one shot that way.  I could've strobed it enough to get it in one shot, but then I'd lose a considerable amount of natural shading, and I don't like spending time in post adding shadows to fake it.  

DSC05576-Edit.thumb.jpg.053bd0e621c0f56be67737f3b9525756.jpg

On 6/27/2019 at 7:43 PM, Talon Six Aerial said:

My fav you've posted so far.  Nice!

Thanks!  I actually lived in this very neighborhood for a little while, but our unit did NOT have a pool or hot tub.  lol

Here's some unique drone shots from recent jobs.  I've come to the point where I actually prefer using the drone instead of a tripod if the shot calls for something higher than 6'.

eb9d7d5c-6002-4f6f-9cba-63dff8b2b7e7.jpg

3d3c4cb2-91f7-4508-848a-c93968309bce.jpg

1e4c3ecd-fad4-474e-8ac5-ab00c2377846.jpg

7f485a13-20a2-4251-9a4c-de6a9fe82924.jpg

1 hour ago, Talon Six Aerial said:

Here's some unique drone shots from recent jobs.  I've come to the point where I actually prefer using the drone instead of a tripod if the shot calls for something higher than 6'.

eb9d7d5c-6002-4f6f-9cba-63dff8b2b7e7.jpg

3d3c4cb2-91f7-4508-848a-c93968309bce.jpg

1e4c3ecd-fad4-474e-8ac5-ab00c2377846.jpg

7f485a13-20a2-4251-9a4c-de6a9fe82924.jpg

Lovely use of your flying camera!  These are great images, very nicely created.