Windrider991

Hello From Panama City Florida

Greetings fellow UAV Coach members! My name is Dan Schroeder. I live in Panama City Florida. I have my FAA 107 Certification, Airspace Authorization, and just completed the classroom and written test for the Flir Level 1 Aerial Thermography Certification. I’ve started my own business here, doing aerial photography, and I’m getting ready to start the aerial thermography imaging too! 

I have experience flying the DJI Inspire 1 version 2, the DJI P4P version 2, the DJI Mavic Air, and the Yuneec Typhoon H Pro. I’m experienced in using the Pix4D program. I also flew for the FEMA Incident Commander in support Of post post hurricane Michael disaster recovery operations. I’m really excited to be a part of UAV Coach now!

I will be starting a hands on drone flight training here in PC too. 

Blessings!

Hi @Windrider991,

Welcome to the UAV Coach Community Forum! How did you like the FLIR training course and is there any details about the course you would like to share? I have heard about this FLIR training course, sounds interesting. Thermography seems to be a quickly growing application in the drone industry. It sounds like you have flown quite a few drones, that is awesome! Do you have a favorite among the drones you listed? Please let us know how your hands on drone training goes! 

Best, 

- Chase 

Greetings Chase,

I really enjoyed the Flir Aerial Thermography class! It is a tough class, with a good bit of science involved, but that is what made it great. The Instructors were really awesome, well experienced, and very easy to get along with. I highly recommend it. Aerial Thermography is just beginning to really be developed, and the uses for it are already vast!

Out of the gear that I have flown, my favorite is the DJI P4P Obsidian model. The camera is awesome, it is easier for me to see due to the black color for much further distance, and the 30 minute flying time is awesome! The Mavic is a great craft too, its just that due to it's small size, It is hard for me to see in just a relatively short distance, and the wind tends to mess with it more. I really love to fly my Yuneec Typnoon H Pro, but the flight time is about 1/2 of what I can get from the DJI craft, due to the H's big size and weight, and that is a big deal when it comes to working with them.

Edited by Windrider991
spelling correction and additional information.

Hi @Windrider991,

That is great to hear, I think aerial thermography has a lot of potential. I also own a DJI Phantom 4 Pro Plus Obsidian. It is a great drone and I hope that DJI will continue on with the Phantom line. I have also noticed that it is easy to see the drone because of its color. Like you mentioned, I think the size, camera, and stability of the phantom is great. 

- Chase 

The Phantom series has been a great line of aircraft indeed. The P4P Obsidian is a real workhorse drone! It is very dependable, easy to see for longer distances, great imaging, etc. I hope they will continue that line up too, but the rumor mill seems to be indicating that they are going to discontinue that line in favor of a Phantom 5 or a Phantom 4 Enterprise line. I hope they keep the line up affordable which ever way they go.