Elainep

Strange occurrence today

We are real estate photographers, and was about do some photos of a property in an area where we've flown before - at least within  mile or so. As soon as our Phantom 4+ got to about 10 ft, it began to descend and said it was a no fly zone. We did notice a small private plane fly over at just about that time. he usually descends  when a plane is visible to give it the right of way, but never received that notice from the drone, nor had it descend on its own.  The plane circled continuously while we were there, so we didn't shoot any drone footage. Is it possible that it was the plane that was causing it?  My husband is very careful about not getting in the way of small planes.

Was the plane circling an airport?  Is there an airport in the area?  Do you know what kind of airspace you were in?  Your P4 has no way of knowing if there’s a plane in the area.  

Do you have a Part107?  DJI has no-fly-zone NFZ built into its software that restricts your ability to fly in controlled airspace without a clearance. It’s inaccurate, unreliable and a real pain.  

There are a few small, private airstrips in our area, literally just a strip of land thru a residential area where private planes, nothing big, take off. One day I called one, to ask for clearance, and I got an old timer, who had no idea why I was calling, but said he didn't expect anyone would be flying in or out that day or anytime soon. My husband has part 107, and he always checks, this was just so random, but good to know that the software can be unreliable.  I guess he should have tried it again in a half hour or so to see what happened. We've got 2 flights today, I hope we don't have the problem again. 

The drone is totally unaware of airplanes, the NFZ is based solely on proximity to an airport.  Unless a private airstrip is shown on a sectional it should not effect the NFZ.  

It’s a DJI, you can pretty much count on having that problem again.  

I fly near many private strips and untowered airports and have not experienced anything like that.  Check your airspace.  As Chuck said, DJI can be a pain, but there is a process to unlock it when needed.  The database is inaccurate for sure.  Are you near any of the newly announced no fly zones near military bases?

Thanks for the input. I think it was a fluke, because we've flown in that area before. Yesterday, we were literally on a private airstrip, at a house with a hangar, and no problem.  We are in the area of Portland (OR)  International Airport and there are Oregon National Guard jets going in and out all the time there, so my husband checks the maps carefully.  However, with all the technology today, it wouldn't surprise me if someone came up with a way to hack into the system, just because they can. We've had neighbors come out and ask what we are doing, but they are usually okay once we explain we are real estate photographers and not interested in anything but the house that is for sale.