Several months back I got some good advice from a number of you on photo editing programs. I settled on Lightroom CC and Photoshop. Now I need to look into a good basic video editing program.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks much!

Hi Bill,

Kind of depends on how you define basic..

I use DaVinci Resolve.  Not basic but its the industry standard for color correction that they've also added editing.

Hey Chuck,

Thanks for the info. DaVinci Resolve is probably a bit higher end than I was looking for. I'll be doing some video for a large real estate development and will need to edit together at least several short videos and put it to music.

I use Filmora. It’s easier to learn than most of the other full-feature editing tools and it allows me to produce quality real estate videos quickly.

I may give Filmora a go. I was also looking at Adobe Premiere Pro. Anyone have any thoughts on that one?

If you use Adobe, Premiere Pro will look familiar to Lightroom and Photoshop.  If you are an Apple user, Final Cut Pro might work for what you are doing.

I use Final Cut Pro X and highly recommend. Most of the professional video editors that I know use Premiere Pro or Final Cut. Perhaps watch a few tutorials on these editing systems – along with the others recommended in this thread – to compare and contrast features, pros and cons, etc. You might also look at Sony Vegas. FCPX is only $299.99 and is incredibly robust and user friendly. Good luck!

On 7/13/2019 at 11:11 AM, BillH said:

I may give Filmora a go. I was also looking at Adobe Premiere Pro. Anyone have any thoughts on that one?

I use Lightroom and Photoshop for my photo editing. Like someone above mentioned, Premiere will be familiar to you if you already use those 2 programs. I use Premiere for all of my video editing. I also like that I can pay ~$55 a month to one manufacturer (Adobe) and get all of their programs. My business partner uses the same programs and it allows us to transfer files to each other easier.

Thanks for all of the good advice all. I may go with Premiere just because I'm already using Lightroom and Photoshop --but my wife just ordered me a new wizzo computer to help with the video editing, and it comes with two video editing programs (for like 75 bucks) and she had them add those. IDK. I'll report back.... 

Hey, reporting back. The editing program that my wife picked up w the new computer is Cyberlink Power Director 17. With a couple hours playing around with it --doesn't look too bad, but I'll still probably end up getting Premiere. Anyone have any experience with Power Director?