Harrison Drone Flyer

How To View No Fly Zones/Restrictions? What App?

Hi!

I am brand new to drone flying. I travel a LOT and would like to get recreational shots for my travels. I do international travel mostly in Europe, Asia, and the Caribbean. 

I am extremely confused on what app to use in order to view where I can/cannot fly and have a few questions below. I was just in Europe and had Airmaps downloaded, when I checked it I basically could not fly anywhere because it seemed the whole areas of Germany, Austria, and Czech Republic that i was in were almost all restricted. 

I could be reading the app incorrectly? I have also looked at the DJI Geo Map which shows a lot more availability but I wasn't sure if that really covers everything. For example, it shows that you can fly near brussels airport, which I thought requires a 5 mi radius of no-flying without contacting the airport.

In short I would like to get your opinion on...

1. What app do you use to read these restrictions easily? If Airmaps, how do I know which areas are restricted vs suggested to be on alert. 
  2. Are there any other resources I should consider in this that I am not? 
  3. If you are trying to fly in a restricted area, does the activation of your drone somehow alert authorities or is it simply a matter of them seeing it physically with their eye? 
  4. What defines a 'crowd of people'..is it 3 people, 15, 50+? 

In short I would love to be able to travel and easily see where I am able to fly in a clear simple manner. 

If you can share any ideas here that would be awesome! 

Thanks!

• Like 1

There's not an app for everything.  Do some preflight planning to understand the drone laws, procedures and airspace of the country you are flying in.  Kittyhawk, Airmap and Skyvector to start.

On 8/9/2019 at 12:33 PM, Hub said:

So this little 7in drone I want to build is going to need FAA clearance???

That depends on how you intend to use it.