Scott Grimm

How many hours does a pilot need to train for

@Scott Grimm The short answer is fly as often as you can, i would say the first ten hours i flew were awful after about 20 on a hubson X4 i was getting better, enough to move to a larger unit (DJI Phantom 3) with another 5 hours on that i have become proficient. The actual time will depend greatly on you and how fast you learn (there is no magic number), I have a few decades of hand eye coordination on a controller that helped me pick up the minute response fairly quickly, but it still takes time to get a feel for the UAV (and mom said video games would never get me anywhere). With all that being said i would make sure to have a reason when you practice, are you practicing orientation control? throttle management in turns? Yaw/pitch/roll control? object avoidance? Distance estimation? Etc. this will help to ensure the time you spend is quality training time and its not hours for the sake of hours. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RemotelyPossible said:

With all that being said i would make sure to have a reason when you practice, are you practicing orientation control? throttle management in turns? Yaw/pitch/roll control? object avoidance? Distance estimation? Etc. this will help to ensure the time you spend is quality training time and its not hours for the sake of hours. 

Amen. I'd be deliberate about each training session. Focus on just one thing per battery life. You'll level-up in your skills much more effectively that way!

Fly as often as you can and make sure you take notes and learn something new EVERY  flight , it might be something new about your controller the unit you are flying , the camera if you have one, the wind conditions, your environment, batteries, the list goes on and on.  Fly-watch-learn and learn more

• Like 1