Dawson Fernandes

A portable integrated GCS you guys probably should check

This Tuesday we went to do a surveying and mapping mission for a client with our new gadget Etlas Mobile. It’s really portable, just a little bit bigger than my Ipad 3.

Though our old station is still in use, We’d like to test this one, and it did amaze us.

Easy switch between deploying interface and camera feed by one click on the screen is quite convenient. The steering joysticks felt good, whole system responded fast, connection was all good for the almost 3km distance. The aluminum alloy body looks quite sturdy. As the specs stated that it supports 5km of connection distance, we’ll probably use it for all our future missions which don’t require longer distance connection than 5km.

Seriously you guys probably should look into it someday.

Etlas.jpg

Etlas-01.jpg

Edited by Dawson Fernandes

4 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

I couldn’t find it anywhere?  Looks like the flight controller is PD4 using Q-Ground Control

It's Etlas Mobile, it seems they're updating the website, their page found on Google by searching "Etlas Mobile" shows 404 error now. 

But after going through the page's menu on top, there's still an intro page about it: http://www.mmcuav.com/portfolio-items/eltas-mobile/

@Dawson Fernandes @Av8Chuck

I don't know how this compares with the "HereLink" but they look very similar. The HereLink also has an integrated Android tablet and runs QGroundControl. Its available from various distributors including these guys.

https://www.getfpv.com/herelink-2-4ghz-long-range-hd-video-transmission-system.html

It was designed by the same folks that developed the Pixhawk 2.1 "Cube" which is now called the "CubePilot"

Bobby Watts, the founder of Watts Innovations recently tested this controller.

Edited by Spitfire76

13 hours ago, Dawson Fernandes said:

But after going through the page's menu on top, there's still an intro page about it: http://www.mmcuav.com/portfolio-items/eltas-mobile/

I believe these guys launched this about two years ago and like a lot of these types of efforts I don’t think they got much traction.  Won’t know until they either launch a new website or pop up as a new company.  I also seem to recall this Tx was pretty pricey.  

5 hours ago, Spitfire76 said:

The HereLink also has an integrated Android tablet and runs QGroundControl. Its available from various distributors including these guys.

Only one of the cubes is not manufactured in China and the provenance of that one now in question.  Turns out Hex66 is a Chinese company.  Not a big deal for most people but for the type of security we have to comply with its not worth the effort to get the waiver. 

The HereLink is cool but it has the same security issue and although there’s a lot of talk about them they have not shipped many.  But we’re keeping an eye on them and will probably buy a couple to play with.

we’ve developed our own version of “LightBridge” “HereLink” that we can encrypt primary flight control, telemetry, and HD video with less latency for up to 25 miles.  But, and it’s a big one, it sucks so much energy we can’t fly anywhere near 25 miles anyway.  It’s good up to about 3-5 miles depending on how long you want to fly.  

It’s never easy!

On 7/26/2019 at 6:39 PM, Dawson Fernandes said:

This Tuesday we went to do a surveying and mapping mission for a client with our new gadget Etlas Mobile. It’s really portable, just a little bit bigger than my Ipad 3.

Though our old station is still in use, We’d like to test this one, and it did amaze us.

Easy switch between deploying interface and camera feed by one click on the screen is quite convenient. The steering joysticks felt good, whole system responded fast, connection was all good for the almost 3km distance. The aluminum alloy body looks quite sturdy. As the specs stated that it supports 5km of connection distance, we’ll probably use it for all our future missions which don’t require longer distance connection than 5km.

Seriously you guys probably should look into it someday.

Etlas.jpg

Etlas-01.jpg

Is there any specific parameters intoduction, then we can intuitively know what your product is.

I’m a big fan of Aurdupilot and open source, however, Phillip Rowe’s answer to does it have encryption - “why do you need encryption?”  Is kind of why trusting them to get this right is difficult.  A lot of the so called “leading developers” really don’t seem to understand the commercial industry.  Their just DIY’rs and there is no DIY market.  

The Etlas Mobile also employs the open source controller, not sure about the encryption level. It seems they have some confidence on it, and seriously want to push it to the market soon. Saw the article hours ago, https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mmc-launched-etlas-mobile-next-080900159.html

11 hours ago, Av8Chuck said:

I’m a big fan of Aurdupilot and open source, however, Phillip Rowe’s answer to does it have encryption - “why do you need encryption?”  Is kind of why trusting them to get this right is difficult.  A lot of the so called “leading developers” really don’t seem to understand the commercial industry.  Their just DIY’rs and there is no DIY market.  

Sadly I don't know anything about the encryption method on the flight control, so is the default encryption very vulnerable to breach into? After all for commercial use, the encryption should be a really important factor. 

Watched this review video of the Herelink controller just now, Bobby showed us the video transmission got a little bit breakout when the distance went up to 1600 feet. Is it normal since they stated that its range is 20km in FCC mode?

3 hours ago, PilotEd said:

Watched this review video of the Herelink controller just now, Bobby showed us the video transmission got a little bit breakout when the distance went up to 1600 feet. Is it normal since they stated that its range is 20km in FCC mode?

I believe that Bobby did say that the video breakup could have been due to the proximity of the electrical power lines.