erfan

object avoidance and height estimation sensor

Hello ,
Can anyone explain me the if I can use the height estimation sensor as also object avoidance sensor ?
I have an evo 3m rangefinder which in descriptions says it is an  object detection sensor , 
Does that also mean it can be used as object avoidance sensor?
if so , any one knows how? in what flight modes can I detect and avoide objects ?what about manual mode? is it possible to use for manual mode also ? 
if not any one has some suggestions for object avoidance sensors ?
Thanks 

@Spitfire76

1 hour ago, Av8Chuck said:

I’m guessing your flying Aurdupilot?  

Yes ,using a pixhawk as flihtcontroller 

It’s been a while since I’ve had any hands on experience with Ardupilot (I have people for that).  But we’ve been doing some testing with various radars, IR, Laser, and other assorted sensors with varying degrees of success and failure.  

We fly mostly autonomous missions so we’re more interested in these sensors to enhance accuracy and not so much for collision avoidence.  If people fly autonomous drones into objects they might want to consider a different line of work...  

Also, despite the hype from some manufacturers, the stand off distance for their “collision avoidence” is measured in feet.  It might stop you from running into a static object like a building (if your going slow enough) but not much else.  

Like all open source projects PX4/Ardupilot has hooks in there software for a wide variety of sensors and variables for using them, but the application of them are not really that well thought through.  

We’re really busy but I’ll see if the guys that are testing have the time to respond to this thread.  Unfortunately it might be a few weeks.  

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 3:22 AM, erfan said:

Hello ,
Can anyone explain me the if I can use the height estimation sensor as also object avoidance sensor ?
I have an evo 3m rangefinder which in descriptions says it is an  object detection sensor , 
Does that also mean it can be used as object avoidance sensor?
if so , any one knows how? in what flight modes can I detect and avoide objects ?what about manual mode? is it possible to use for manual mode also ? 
if not any one has some suggestions for object avoidance sensors ?
Thanks 

@Spitfire76

It looks like ArduCopter has introduced some limited object avoidance code but I have not used it.

http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/code-overview-object-avoidance.html

Of course you would need more sensors if you wanted all round detection. For example I see that TeraBee make a multi-directional array using their Evo sensors. 

https://www.terabee.com/shop/lidar-tof-multi-directional-arrays/teraranger-tower-evo/