Papadopoulos

Trying to get off the ground!

Hi all,

Aspiring pilot form Minneapolis/St.Paul MN area trying to get my first drone off the ground, and looking for some sage advice.

Purchased a Diatone R349nx to try and get a feel for the components of a DIY build in something that's basically ready to fly (see link for specs). Using a Taranis x9d transmitter with a FrSky R-XSR receiver.

Issue #1: After configuring the quad and transmitter in BetaFlight all seemed to be going well while still on the bench. However, when I arm my quad outside of BetaFlight (still without props attached) the motors spin up at a variable rate even when the throttle is not engaged. Double-checking in BetaFlight, the motors only spin up when the slider in Motors tab is advanced, stopping when at 0. 

Issue #2 (related?): Additionally, when I plug in my 4s 750mAh lipo into the quad, the stack heats up quickly, even without engaging the motors or doing anything except looking at it (I don't have heat vision ;)). After about 2 minutes the quad beeps that it's overheating and is too hot to the touch to handle. 

Contacting the reseller, they told me, "airmode is set by default, without props they will go irratic as the gyro is trying to level any vibrations and no props are moving so they ramp up etc. I typically set a flight mode to angle with airmode OFF for this reason. use the motor tab to diasble the gyro when bench testing. The Unify gets HOT when sitting, no doubt it would cause a thermal condtion if sitting for 2 minutes powered with zero airflow"

I verified Airmode is not on in BetaFlight, nor has it been. I'm also surprised that with the reading I've been doing I've never heard of a quad overheating simply with the battery attached on the bench. Is what I'm experiencing possibly an technical issue with the quad, or something I just need to tweak in BetaFlight? I'm happy to provide more details if that would help with any advice to be offered.

ESC: F25 20A Current Sensor 3-4S
Motor: Mamba racing 1408 4000KV 3-4S
Propeller: 3 inch.

Thanks in advance!

19 hours ago, Papadopoulos said:

Double-checking in BetaFlight, the motors only spin up when the slider in Motors tab is advanced, stopping when at 0. 

Its normal for the motors not to spin-up after arming and increasing the throttle when the drone is connected to the BetaFlight Configurator. Its a safety precaution but you can spin them up with the motor test providing you enable the "I understand the risk....".

Issue #1: After configuring the quad and transmitter in BetaFlight all seemed to be going well while still on the bench. However, when I arm my quad outside of BetaFlight (still without props attached) the motors spin up at a variable rate even when the throttle is not engaged.

In BF Configurator select "receiver" from the left menu and check the min and max values by moving the throttle. For example on my quad (not the same as yours) the minim throttle value is 988 and the max is 2012. Also in the "configuration" under ESC/Motor Features what is the minimum throttle value ?. On my quad its set to 1000. This is the value the throttle needs to be at for the motors to spin.

Issue #2 (related?): Additionally, when I plug in my 4s 750mAh lipo into the quad, the stack heats up quickly, even without engaging the motors or doing anything except looking at it (I don't have heat vision ;)). After about 2 minutes the quad beeps that it's overheating and is too hot to the touch to handle. 

When you power up are you getting video on your monitor or goggles as it could be the video transmitter getting hot

Contacting the reseller, they told me, "airmode is set by default, without props they will go irratic as the gyro is trying to level any vibrations and no props are moving so they ramp up etc. I typically set a flight mode to angle with airmode OFF for this reason.

Is the Permanently enable Airmode off in the configuration menu ?

1256512971_ScreenShot2019-07-28at9_44_06AM.thumb.png.adabb64316479ea176ff76efcda9b726.png

Edited by Spitfire76

Thanks or the reply Spitfire76. 

5 hours ago, Spitfire76 said:

Its normal for the motors not to spin-up after arming and increasing the throttle when the drone is connected to the BetaFlight Configurator. Its a safety precaution but you can spin them up with the motor test providing you enable the "I understand the risk....".

In BF Configurator select "receiver" from the left menu and check the min and max values by moving the throttle. For example on my quad (not the same as yours) the minim throttle value is 988 and the max is 2012. Also in the "configuration" under ESC/Motor Features what is the minimum throttle value ?. On my quad its set to 1000. This is the value the throttle needs to be at for the motors to spin.

Is the Permanently enable Airmode off in the configuration menu ?

My experience in BetaFlight has been going as expected, even figured out the "I understand the risk..." piece to test the motors. My concern is what happens when off the bench...the motors seem to want to spin as soon as the quad is armed, even when on a flat surface. My throttle range is 987-2011 from all the way down to up, respectively, similar to yours. "Airmode" has been off by default from the beginning, so that's not contributing.

I did find a setting under the configuration tab relating to "motor idle" which was set to 3.0% by default. Since turning that to 0.0 it seems improved, but the motors still seems to spasm when armed outside of BetaFlight, even after turning on "Motor Stop" in the same BetaFlight setting.

image.png.f01e03233d399c43b456caf9f37e9d40.png

That said, I put the props on, crossed my fingers and gave it a whirl. Even though the motors go on-off-on-off with the throttle at 0, it's not enough to move the quad unless I give it some throttle, so it's not ideal but seems to work.

5 hours ago, Spitfire76 said:

When you power up are you getting video on your monitor or goggles as it could be the video transmitter getting hot

Even though my quad supports it I haven't thrown down for goggles yet until I get my sea legs flying these things, but it's good to know the overheating could be expected and not necessarily sign of a bad build.

I really appreciate the feedback as I wrap my head around all there is to know about quads. I hope to be able to pay it forward to another newcomer once I figure a few things out myself. I'll keep checking back in case more suggestions show up.

18 hours ago, Papadopoulos said:

Also in the "configuration" under ESC/Motor Features what is the minimum throttle value ?. On my quad its set to 1000. This is the value the throttle needs to be at for the motors to spin.

I now understand why you didn't provide this as your quad uses DShot ESCs and those fields don't show up. Instead the field "motor idle throttle value" appears.