erfan

What capacitor to use for pixhawk and other electronic components

I've seen a lots of articles and threads about adding a 1000μF capacitor to the electronics setup to smooth out the power and stop potential voltage spikes from damaging other electronics. However I've seen no reasoning on the choice of using 1000μF capacitor.

does any one know the reason ? or any calculation ?

@Spitfire76

1 hour ago, erfan said:

I've seen a lots of articles and threads about adding a 1000μF capacitor to the electronics setup to smooth out the power and stop potential voltage spikes from damaging other electronics. However I've seen no reasoning on the choice of using 1000μF capacitor.

does any one know the reason ? or any calculation ?

@Spitfire76

If the Pixhawk is being powered by the power module I don't see any reason to have a capacitor. Now the Pixhawk can also be powered by the servo rail which could be used as backup power if the power module voltage drops too low. Mainly though the recommendation is to add a zener diode to this rail to limit the voltage although I've seen some also recommend a capacitor but according to the Ardupilot wiki the diode is all that's needed.

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-powering-the-pixhawk.html

11 minutes ago, Spitfire76 said:

If the Pixhawk is being powered by the power module I don't see any reason to have a capacitor. Now the Pixhawk can also be powered by the servo rail which could be used as backup power if the power module voltage drops too low. Mainly though the recommendation is to add a zener diode to this rail to limit the voltage although I've seen some also recommend a capacitor but according to the Ardupilot wiki the diode is all that's needed.

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-powering-the-pixhawk.html

Exactly I want to have backup power for any voltage drop . 
actually what I understood the reason why  Zener diode is used is because it mitigates voltage spikes beyond 5.7v on this servo rail,

and the reason capacitor should be used is because it  helps smoothing the voltage “ripples” further (it might not be needed but it is recommended).

This might not be still a big issue for pixhawk ,

but what I WANT TO KNOW is  why they only say 220uf capacitor for pixhawk, or 1000uf for ESC ?
any reason for that ? how is the calculation done ?

please see this webpage aswell which is for the pixhawk I AM using :
http://www.icarusfpv.com/2014/11/installing-a-zener-diode-and-capacitor-for-hkpilot32-pixhawk/

@Spitfire76

Edited by erfan