shadow85

Drone for recording car track racing

Interested in getting a drone that could record me racing my car on a race track or drag strip, very much like this:

But I am a total drone noobie, would anyone know exactly everything needed to do something like that? I know I will need a GoPro hero7 black for the footage, but what drone and accessories will I need to accomplish that areial footage.

I was looking at getting a DJI drone like the Mavic 2 but they are very expensive and only go 44mph max speed.
Edited by shadow85

That has very little to do with what kind of drone or camera and everything to do with skill.  There’s a good chance you could never be able to accomplish that.  I’ve been flying drones since 2008 and I can’t come close to that.  Maybe you can, but it’s going to take some serious skills. 

Also there isn’t a DJI that can come close to that.  

From the shadow of the drone on the ground,  it is probably a 5-inch or larger race or freestyle quad with a GoPro for recording the video. This sort of drone can be purchased or built for a few hundred dollars, but it is not as easy to master as a drone that includes an altimeter and GPS like the more expensive prosumer drones such as the DJI Phantom or Mavic Pro series of drones.  The race drones can fly much faster than the DJIs.  

There are plenty of people who can fly a race or freestyle quad like in the video - just Google “race or freestyle quad” and you’ll see lots of examples. The quickest way for you to get aerial videos of your cars would be to find a local race or freestyle flyer and ask for help. Maybe ask at a local hobby store or run a help wanted ad on Craig’s List. 

I am not an attorney and the following is not legal advice, but...

If you are going to use the video for any commercial purpose, or fly over moving cars like in your sample video, the pilot will have to be an FAA Part 107 certified pilot, which may reduce your choices of pilots.  In addition, if the drone will fly over the moving cars, the pilot will need to apply for and receive an FAA waiver of the reg(s) that make it illegal to fly over moving cars. The pilot’s application will have to convince the FAA that the flight can be made safely, so it may need to be a closed course with no spectators since we are not allowed to fly over people either.  Getting the waiver can take months.  The fines for violating these rules are heavy and posting a video on YouTube of an illegal flight is just stupid. 

If the pilot is good, he can avoid flying over the cars and eliminate the need for a waiver.

Good luck!

Edited by Earthman

Here’s a link that shows how they filmed the drifting cars.

As you can see, the drone isn’t unusual, but it’s not a matter of just buying a drone and taking videos. There’s significant skill involved.