Isabella | UAV Coach

Skydio 2 Test Footage

Skydio 2 has been confirmed, and new test footage from the drone has us really geared up for the launch.

Watch the video here

Last month, Skydio announced that they’ve got something new coming this fall. Their tongue-in-cheek remark on Twitter, “If you’re thinking of buying a drone, wait,” confirmed a new drone is in the works, and it will be worth waiting for. Now we have an idea of what we can expect of Skydio 2 thanks to test footage uploaded on YouTube.

How would the Skydio 2 change the way you capture aerial footage? Let us know in the comments. 

@Isabella | UAV Coach - Looks like today was the launch!

Wow, the R2 is just $999 and one can be reserved for $100.

https://www.skydio.com

Its interesting that they can sell it for that price as apparently its made in the USA by a US company!

The CEO of Skydio, Adam Bry, joined today's live DSTW episode (he joined at 53 mins in)

Edited by Spitfire76

Hoping for serious competition to DJI.  Homegrown makes it even better.

However.  Their Terms of Service document is a book, and a quick scan of it shows that they may not have learned enough from the criticism of DJI's shenanigans.  Lots of bad stuff for the consumer.

https://www.skydio.com/pages/legal

Edited by Dave Pitman

22 hours ago, Spitfire76 said:

The CEO of Skydio, Adam Bry, joined today's live DSTW episode (he joined at 53 mins in)

Correction to my previous post - its more like 1h 37 mins into the youtube video.

Edited by Spitfire76

I notice on both beacon and controller. Any input on these?

OPERATING FREQUENCIES
2.4-2.483 GHz
5.18-5.24 GHz
5.725-5.85 GHz
CHANNEL WIDTH (STANDARD WIFI)
20, 40, and 80 MHz
CHANNEL WIDTH (SKYDIO LINK™)
5 and 10 MHz
GPS SATELLITE CONSTELLATIONS
GPS and GLONASS

I'm highly impressed with the new features of the Skydio 2, and pleasantly surprised by the response it received (sold out in one day). Definitely good to see some healthy competition between manufacturers in the marketplace. 

Our write up on Skydio 2's new features and specs, plus when a restock is expected can be found here: Skydio 2 Launches, Sells Out in a Single Day.

That’s a great artical and it’s certianly nice to see real competition for DJI.  They are certianly taking tracking to a whole other level in the consumer market and there would certianly be opprotunity for this type of technology in professional applications, however,  it’s a small drone with only a 12MP camera, hardly something a professional would use for engineering, cinematography or broadcasting.  

That’s not to say that people aren’t trying to use MavicPro’s for these applications. But if the attention is focused on what the Skydio2 does really well as compared to a MavicPro and not on professional hypeware then it will likely win significant market share. 

With their current TOS, I doubt they will get any traction in moving in where DJI has fumbled the ball with regard to gov't services.  A couple of nails are that you must create an account and agree that the manufacturer can "hot patch" and/or disable the drone if you do not update the fw.  AND, that you agree in advance that they can change the TOS at will and you agree to the new terms.   Sound familiar?

But it does look like the best action selfy drone for sure.

I wonder if they plan on further collaboration with Parrot since they use their hardware for the optional controller ?.

Edited by Spitfire76

I use a DJI Phantom 4 Pro for some light commercial applications, and real estate photos and video. I have used a Yuneec for a short time and liked the features and the way the camera is handled along with the retractable landing gear. Since all the business applications are seeming to use the DJI Mavic Pro as a "standard", Although it only has a 12MP camera, the comparative Skydio 2 specs results seemed to show its worthiness. I was impressed with all the unbiased and thorough comparison specs with the Skydio 2. 

I too would like to get some hardware, and perhaps software, that is USA owned, especially considering the current climate with China and our leadership. Since they are partnering with AirMap, I would expect great things to come about and perhaps a camera upgrade for those of us who need that extra in the larger scale commercial applications, as they mention municipal first respondents and similar activities. I just hope that the partnership may develop a sort of compromise so the expensive Airmap applications and benefit those who don't need all the detail and can limit its resourcefulness to way-points and some other related features for autonomous programming. Also, if it is that successful, unfortunately, it will take a while for the third party hardware and software vendors to accept and come up to speed with accessories and applications. I have already discussed this with an insurance inspection vendor, for example, and they are interested to see, but not yet considering any quick changes to endorse the Skydio 2.

And, yes, I am in the first roll-out looking forward to November :)

2 hours ago, Drone360 said:

use a DJI Phantom 4 Pro for some light commercial applications, and real estate photos and video

There are plenty of applications where a 12MP camera is more than adequate, it all depends on how the commercial application is defined.  If we confine the discussion to what the Skydio2 is actually capable rather than “Enterprise this and Industrial that”  then a better comparison can be made with the MavicPro.  

If someone is actually using a MavicPro for any kind of Enterprise or industrial inspections then they can add their experiences.  I think people might be surprised how little that gets discussed. 

Im curious how you’d use the tracking technology for producing a property video.  Can you create a path for it to follow, give it a POI to focus on and it will nevigate any obstacles in the same way it does following a person?  I’m guessing that the algorithm needs the the POI to be moving.  

Also, I think the point that @Dave Pitman made about the TOS is interesting and will probably impede any potential partnerships with other vendors.  If it works and didn’t have licensing issues, I think the adoption of third party tech on a DJI alternative could happen very quickly.  

I have owned and flown DJI products since 2014 starting with the phantom 1. I have purchased other drones along the way but have always come back to DJI due to their superior product and flight features.

It is good to see a US manufacturer going up against DJI. I was able to pre-purchase the new Skydio 2 drone and looking forward to receiving my unit in November.